I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

FAST DOUBLING PSA

User
Posted 06 Aug 2021 at 21:33

Hi. I was diagnosed in early 2015 with locally advanced prostate cancer. My initial PSA was 41.7, Gleason score 4+3,stage T3b with spread to right side seminal vesicle. I had hormone therapy for 2 and a half years, and 39 sessions of radiotherapy including to the pelvic region. My nadir was 0.18 in Sept 2019. Since then my PSA has risen at an increasingly rapid rate to 3.0 in June this year. It was 1.1 in March this year. I have another PSA test at the end of August and Bone and a CT scan with contrast in September. If no visible mets will have a PSMA Pet scan at Nottingham. My consultant has said he will put me back on hormone therapy and if any mets found may start chemotherapy. I am 79 years old. I would be interested to hear people's views of my situation. Enzalutamide might be another option at some stage. At my age I feel it would be better to have chemo first, before the Enza. if I need it. Any thoughts on this? Any advice or comments about having chemo.if that is what I need? And the most common side effects? Thank you. Richard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2021 at 00:39

Hello, my dad has advanced prostate cancer and was diagnosed 4 years ago. He is now 82. He had chemo straight off with Prostap I think. Then his PSA rose and they put him on enzalutamide which has stopped working so well so he’s getting another 10 rounds of chemotherapy. He felt rubbish with chemo but he did it. Enza he had no side affects at all. We just hope he gets through these 10 rounds. You will be fine, you will just need to power through. X

User
Posted 08 Aug 2021 at 08:15

Thank you very much for that. I hope your Dad can manage the 10 rounds of chemo. Obviously I won't know until I've had the scans exactly what my position is in relation to any cancer spread. Hardest part is the not knowing and the long wait to find out xx

User
Posted 08 Aug 2021 at 21:04

Hi Richard, I’m not able to reply to private messages as I think you need to be an active member and you are the only person I’ve replied to. My dad has advanced prostate cancer and had an initial PSA of 97. After chemo (  Docetaxel) his PSA dropped to 0.1 ( I think!) and we were amazed!!! The chemo was hard snd he got sepsis a couple of times but got through it. He was then on prostap only and his PSA went up to 2 ( again im not 100% on numbers) so he was then put on enza a year ago but was taken off it as his PSA started to rise. He was then on steroids and prostap  and now his PSA is up to 8 so they want him to have chemo again. He had bone mets at the start but the chemo zapped them. He has a CT scan this coming week so we will know more then. As it’s obviously spread bug we don’t know where. He has no pain at all. Anywhere. 

in terms of side affects - chemo was not nice - felt rubbish and got sepsis but he wasn’t sick or in bed. He walked, he went to church, he ate well. He didn’t lose all his hair. 

enza side affects - nothing!! 

User
Posted 09 Aug 2021 at 20:52

Thank you very much for your reply and for sharing the details about your Dad. Good to hear the chemo zapped the bone mets. I hope he won't have too many side effects from his coming sessions of chemo. I am trying to prepare mentally for the possibility of having to have chemo myself.

Interesting to hear about your Dad going to church. I am retired priest in the Church of England myself, but it may surprise you I am no longer a churchgoer. Long story. I am very much into mindfulness and meditation, which originated in Buddhism.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2021 at 23:37

Hi Richard,

The  thing about these drugs is that we don't know how each of us will react to them.   Some people do better with certain drugs or combinations.   They have been doing trials with genetic monitoring as genes can indicate some people will do better with certain treatments.

There are also theories about how to tolerate chemo better.   I don't know if it's all types of chemo or just certain ones.   Usually eating good food and being active come into it.

I was interested that you were a priest in the CofE but now practice mindfulness and meditation.   I've found myself more religious as I get older, although perhaps more willing to say so as I think I always have been but not wanted to make it much known.  I also don't know if I got more religious after feeling more vulnerable during the diagnosis and the on going uncertainty.   Although I'm currently undetectable psa wise.   I can imagine that after many years thinking about religion it would be possible to reach a different level through meditating as a religion can be a single way.   Sitting still for 10 minutes would be hard for me unless I had headphones on.  I've found books and music can be transcending.  I'm not sure if you see it as a life stage or something brought on by feeling more mortal in a time of stress.   Perhaps like a doctor you don't like people to pick up on your background because they ask such questions, but if you have some interesting thoughts I wouldn't mind reading them.  I guess it's a bit off topic but not totally in this forum. 

Regards
Peter

Edited by member 09 Aug 2021 at 23:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Aug 2021 at 09:10

Hi Peter. Thank you very much form your post and for what you shared about the spiritual side of life. I'm sure you are right that people can vary in how they react to the chemo.

When I retired early from the church, aged 61 back in 2003, my mother became ill with dementia. She lived a 3 hr journey away in Liverpool and visiting her occupied a lot of my time. I also had made the decision that when I retired I would really retire from church duties, although for a few years I did take the occasional funeral.

It was only through having cancer that I got involved in mindfulness. After my initial treatment the hospital physiotherapist thought I might benefit from mindfulness. I have always suffered from anxiety. She put me in touch with a lady who worked in another department in my local hospital, who happened to be a mindfulness teacher. Over the last 5 years she has  become a very dear close friend. She is a truly beautiful soul, one in a million, the kind of person you might only meet once in a lifetime. 

One of the key aspects of mindfulness is living in the moment, and being present with what you are doing. Mindfulness does give one a greater appreciation of the preciousness and beauty of life. In a way getting cancer was a blessing because through it, by meeting my friend, I discovered mindfulness.

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 20:48

Hi can I ask how you’re dad is doing? 
my dad is deciding between enzalutimide and chemo. His psa is currently 240

the first injection worked well but has already stopped working after only 2 months. Hasn’t even had second injection yet so really panicking 

hope you’re ok 

User
Posted 09 Aug 2022 at 00:43

Hello, my dad is ok, his PSA is now 174 but we are not sure if the jump was due to a urinary tract infection. He is getting a bone scan and ct scan. It’s obviously growing somewhere. Just all so horrible. Xxx

User
Posted 11 Aug 2022 at 21:27

Sorry to hear your news. Hope the scan results are as good as you can possibly hope for.

User
Posted 15 Aug 2022 at 00:14

Thank you 🙏