I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Critical Illness Claims 2021

User
Posted 07 Aug 2021 at 19:38

I took out a life insurance policy with critical illness in 1996. The policy ends 1st October 21. I have submitted a claim based on my prostate cancer. Has onyone had eperiance with insurance companies positive or negative that I and others could benifit from? 

User
Posted 09 Aug 2021 at 09:13
What is your Gleason score?

If it is G 3+3=6 many critical illness policies will not pay out as your condition is not considered “life threatening”.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2021 at 09:28
John

Thanks for the response

My Gleason is 3+4=7

I have submitted a claim and will seee where it goes.

I assume as I have not received any variations to my policy then conditions applied at the time I took the policy out apply.

Brian

User
Posted 09 Aug 2021 at 13:40
With ours the T score counts too. If I remember right they don't accept anything less than a T3
User
Posted 09 Aug 2021 at 14:10
With a post op PSA of 3.4 and known lymph nodes involvement, I don't think your Gleason score or T staging are relevant to the insurance claim. You are presumably now considered to be incurable and your policy should pay out.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Aug 2021 at 14:39

Thanks for the reply.

Its disapointing that a negative can be a positive. Moving from cure to longterm managemnet was not what anyone wants.

Mind you having a few more shillings in the bank should I need then is better than not having them I suppose.

Brian

User
Posted 10 Aug 2021 at 14:55

I was diagnosed in 2014

T2(c) 

PSA 8.4

Gleason 7 (4+3)

no lymph node involvement, clear margins

Aviva Critical Illness cover paid off my considerable mortgage which I had taken out less than 3 years earlier

unfortunately there was a recurrence in 2017 and I had radiotherapy and 2 years hormone therapy. PSA undetectable for the moment, fingers crossed

Fingers crossed for your claim too 👍

Edited by member 10 Aug 2021 at 14:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 13:25

My policy was either T3 or Gleason 9.  Paid out within days of claim submission. 

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 15:57

Thanks Ulsterman

It would appear that there is agood deal of variation in policies.

My policy document of 1996 vintage with Legal and General makes no specific reference to prostate cancer.

The one clause on cancer states - A malignant tumour charecterised by the uncontrolled growth of malignant cells and the invasion of tissue: This excludes 

1 non-invasive cancer in situ

2- tumours in the pressence of HIV

3 any skin cancer other then invasive ,malignant  melanoma

I have viewed an L&G document Guide to Critical Illness Cover PDF PDF file: Guide to Critical Illness Cover PDF but suspect this only applies to new policies.

Good to hear many with critical illness cover have had quick payouts.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2021 at 23:17

Gleason 7

Paid by AVIVA..

Good luck

User
Posted 14 Aug 2021 at 17:56

Cheers Thala for your response. 

To dtae we have had no one saying they have been declined.

Brian