I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Non routine penile implant op?

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 04:51

After prostate removal by robotic section, nerve saving did not help me maintain good erections.

All treatments including injections have failed.

After research I approached the Urology team regardingan implant only to be told they were not routinely supplied and would have to ‘make a case’!

This after researching and the conclusion that even the NHS suggested that Centres of Excellence were required because higher rates of operations resulted in higher success and less complication rates. 
So not a lightly taken decision.

So my question is how many people have come across this matter and how did they get their approval?

Absolutely any assistance would be appreciated.

Michael.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2022 at 06:41

Well after the doctor stated that there was no chance of getting a penile implant after radical robotic prostate removal 2 and a half years ago left me chasing an ED solution that worked after about 8 months on the waiting list, I received a 3-piece AMS700 implant. 
All the way through I have fought and pushed.
I am sure my confidence and knowledge has been a factor.

This after trying a pump, tablets and all the types of injections available (I had to press to change each time), as even injections in combination with tablets, the nerve saving had left me with inadequate erections.

It is evident that just like the issue that sent me to having my prostate removed and finding aggressive cancer was just starting, of an enlarged prostate like a grapefruit rather than walnut, stupidly living for years with poor flow/often peeing, that in the U.K. there is no support or forum to help and educate us men.

By living with the swollen prostate too long, the solutions of tablets or operation came down to either regular TURP operations or removal. As my father died of prostate cancer in his 90’s and my mum also lived into her 90’s I consider I have 30 years ahead of me.
So out with the problem! which proved to be the correct decision, even if there are operative improvements on swollen prostrates coming through in Europe.

There is negligible U.K. help and advice on Prostate problems, whether through cancer or not, and not enough talk either.

America is certainly the place to find out anything you need to know, with    franktalk.org    the very best all in one solution, with YouTube once you know that to look for. I dont do social media so don’t ask!

I know atm I am lucky/hopefully  a cheat cancer survivor, but the side issue of ED is not one that gets enough publicity or enough importance when there is prostate nerve damage in otherwise healthy men, and thank goodness at not being young and with problems.

The operation is not pleasant with no way back, that my planning probably helped in my quick and easy recovery, is probably not for everyone, and I cannot imagine the pain and distress alongside living with cancer, but the NHS seems to be hiding from the ease with which for some couples/ men, the emotional distress of ED can be overcome.

I would also mention there was a recent C4 programme I watched that vaguely and poorly covered the implant in a youngish mental health/ drug addition patient, that was in my opinion was misplaced and a waste of NHS resource.

Anyway I hope you all the very best in your recoveries, and to be strong and continue to live life to the full together. Do not forget that you have an immediate duty to those around you to receive support and GIVE support that includes appropriate physical love, and to not just give in to the system.