Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Personal independent payment

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 14:36

Hi there 

does anyone get PIP and blue badge when the cancer has spread to bones and hips ? 
my dad finds walking difficult and sitting up and down ? 

trying to think of anyways to help him or aid him and I’m sure he would benefit from this 

thank you 

hayley 

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 21:16
Generally speaking, no - they only give it when the oncologist says the man has less than 6 months to live. However, get yourselves some advice from either the Macmillan nurse allocated to your dad, the local hospice or the Maggie's Centre if there is one at your hospital ... they usually have staff or volunteers who can help patients negotiate the benefits system.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 21:37

PIP is based on how the disability impacts your life. It is not automatically given for cancer unless as Lyn says he is signed off as having less than six months to live.

However the criteria are things like ability to walk more than so many metres, ability to wash oneself, etc. He may meet some of these criteria.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-decisions-are-made/

Blue badges are more unpredictable, they depend on the local authorities criteria. If he qualified for pip he would almost certainly qualify for a blue badge. 

When you go to the supermarket and park in a non disabled space, if you think it's not fair that dad has to walk from here to the door. Then I think you have a legitimate right to claim for a blue badge. My mom is 92 and can easily walk a mile, so I definitely could not legitimately claim a blue badge for her. 

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 21:16
Generally speaking, no - they only give it when the oncologist says the man has less than 6 months to live. However, get yourselves some advice from either the Macmillan nurse allocated to your dad, the local hospice or the Maggie's Centre if there is one at your hospital ... they usually have staff or volunteers who can help patients negotiate the benefits system.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 21:37

PIP is based on how the disability impacts your life. It is not automatically given for cancer unless as Lyn says he is signed off as having less than six months to live.

However the criteria are things like ability to walk more than so many metres, ability to wash oneself, etc. He may meet some of these criteria.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-decisions-are-made/

Blue badges are more unpredictable, they depend on the local authorities criteria. If he qualified for pip he would almost certainly qualify for a blue badge. 

When you go to the supermarket and park in a non disabled space, if you think it's not fair that dad has to walk from here to the door. Then I think you have a legitimate right to claim for a blue badge. My mom is 92 and can easily walk a mile, so I definitely could not legitimately claim a blue badge for her. 

Dave