I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Playing sport

User
Posted 21 Aug 2021 at 14:51

Hello, I wonder who has had experience of getting back to playing a sport after a RARP? I have reached the 12 week post-op milestone and am about to be 68. I used to play tennis twice a week but am not obsessed with returning to it. I would like to try, but twisting and turning have been the slowest things to return as I have gently tested my return to full mobility. I started floating then swimming at about week 7 and that has helped enormously. Can anybody give me some tips about returning to more strenuous activities than swimming? Of course, some of you may be regular swimmers and hearing about how you continue to use that to keep healthy and fit would be just as interesting. Thank you for reading this.

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 07:14

The most important tip is follow the guidelines from your surgeon.

Build gradually and listen to your body.

I'm one year on from my RARP (June 2020) and got up this morning at 0630 to cycle 100 miles (for the third time this year).

It took me a while to regain fitness etc. but if you take it gently you can get back to where you were. One of the main risks with strenuous activity is hernia, which is why they say avoid heavy lifting for the first few weeks. But even after that it's sensible to build gradually. (Got to go and get ready for the ride now.)

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 07:27
Watch out for unexpected stress incontinence too.

It will take the fun out of smashing a volley only to find you have p****d yourself!