Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wait for biopsy…..hard!

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 10:38

Hi All,

I don’t know yet if I have cancer or not. PSA just over 8 and following MRI scan leading to PIRAD 5 I am waiting for a TRUS biopsy which does not sound a very pleasant prospect. If it happens as promised I will have waited 7 weeks for it. That has not been easy…..The uncertainty is not good!

Is this sort of wait a common experience? I presume holidays and Covid have contributed to the wait.

Thanks,

DGL.

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 13:11
Seven weeks from your initial urology referral is pretty reasonable - getting through the whole diagnosis process generally does take a couple of months at least. Believe me, the anticipation of the biopsy is worse than the event - in terms of actual discomfort I'd put it roughly on a par with having a filling at the dentist. It's extremely undignified, but should merely be uncomfortable rather than painful.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 15:13

We have some non UK members, and sometimes we accidentally talk about NHS procedures which are irrelevant to them. Being 64 you have about a 60% chance that you have cancer, most men of your age have it. The more important issue is whether it needs to be treated or left alone like a sleeping dog. Biopsy data will help in that decision.

I hate dentists, I would rather have a biopsy than go to a dentist.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 14:05
For comparison, I had my urology referral in mid May 2018, and had my final MDT treatment recommendations in mid August, so three months from start to finish. The diagnostic process is the most stressful part of the whole process for many men - it certainly was for me. When you get your final diagnosis and (if it's cancer) start treatment, you know where you are and it's all a lot easier to handle.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 14:17

Hi,

The TRUs biopsy is an uncomfortable feeling but not painful.  I started clenching my muscles anticipating the click until the doctor told me to stop. I've often wondered if that was why 2 pins had no sample.

They theoretically have 14 days to see you, up to 31 days to diagnose and 62 days to treatment from the referral date. I thought I was heading for 95 days for treatment, that's 5 years ago. Leaving the surgeon's room I said I'm ready tomorrow if you can fit me in. Strangely I saw a flash of thought in his eyes that had me puzzling.  The day after I was offered an appointment 30 days earlier than he said which was almost faster than the system could take, it was near Xmas and I guessed he slid me in on his last day from what was said.

That's a bit of a ramble but the factors in scheduling are many and I can give other examples of when making your preferences known quickly seemed to help.

All the best Peter

Edited by member 22 Aug 2021 at 16:08  | Reason: says 'dates from referral'

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 13:11
Seven weeks from your initial urology referral is pretty reasonable - getting through the whole diagnosis process generally does take a couple of months at least. Believe me, the anticipation of the biopsy is worse than the event - in terms of actual discomfort I'd put it roughly on a par with having a filling at the dentist. It's extremely undignified, but should merely be uncomfortable rather than painful.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 13:33

I agree with Chris, a fairly typical timescale. I was diagnosed in exactly 8 weeks. We have someone else on here who has been waiting 7 months and is still having tests. I think covid is slowing things down a bit. Are you in the UK? How old are you? 

We have had a few people lately with pirads 5 who have then had the all clear. So it is by no means certain you have cancer, and with a psa of 8 if you do have it, it has probably been caught early enough that you can be cured. 

Dave

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 13:36

Age 64 and U K based. Thank you to both of you….very helpful.

DGL.

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 14:05
For comparison, I had my urology referral in mid May 2018, and had my final MDT treatment recommendations in mid August, so three months from start to finish. The diagnostic process is the most stressful part of the whole process for many men - it certainly was for me. When you get your final diagnosis and (if it's cancer) start treatment, you know where you are and it's all a lot easier to handle.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 14:17

Hi,

The TRUs biopsy is an uncomfortable feeling but not painful.  I started clenching my muscles anticipating the click until the doctor told me to stop. I've often wondered if that was why 2 pins had no sample.

They theoretically have 14 days to see you, up to 31 days to diagnose and 62 days to treatment from the referral date. I thought I was heading for 95 days for treatment, that's 5 years ago. Leaving the surgeon's room I said I'm ready tomorrow if you can fit me in. Strangely I saw a flash of thought in his eyes that had me puzzling.  The day after I was offered an appointment 30 days earlier than he said which was almost faster than the system could take, it was near Xmas and I guessed he slid me in on his last day from what was said.

That's a bit of a ramble but the factors in scheduling are many and I can give other examples of when making your preferences known quickly seemed to help.

All the best Peter

Edited by member 22 Aug 2021 at 16:08  | Reason: says 'dates from referral'

User
Posted 22 Aug 2021 at 15:13

We have some non UK members, and sometimes we accidentally talk about NHS procedures which are irrelevant to them. Being 64 you have about a 60% chance that you have cancer, most men of your age have it. The more important issue is whether it needs to be treated or left alone like a sleeping dog. Biopsy data will help in that decision.

I hate dentists, I would rather have a biopsy than go to a dentist.

Dave