I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Palliative-pain radiotherapy last week

User
Posted 23 Aug 2021 at 08:37

Diagnosed in 2017 at 59 with T4 N0 M1b, gleason 9, psa 11 and struggled along since then kinda okay. At least some quality of life anyway.

This year it's been horrible with sciatica type pain, abdominal pains, back pain and even constipation of late. Pain sitting, pain laying down, hard to sleep, can't hardly walk. It's like some never stopping torture regime, and oftentimes I'm just praying for it to end now.
Now on Bicalutamide. Likely to move to enzalutamide or Abiraterone soon, maybe even in a couple of weeks.
A MRI showed primary increased and a new matastatic tumour to sacral spine interferring with nerve(s) causing these nasties. Given single shot high dose palliative radiotherapy to sacrum/Pelvis last week.🤞

I was warned radiotherapy would likely exacerbate pain and symptoms for some days, or up to two weeks, before it hopefully got better.
But I had three much better days immediately after, I'm not sure if all the dexamethasone helped there, life worth living again, but the the last couple of days are not good again.
I was so thrilled at this seemingly magical pain intervention, but now I'm worried it's not working for me.
I just need to be patient for another week or so I suppose, and hope?

User
Posted 23 Aug 2021 at 20:45
RT to bone mets often only gives temporary relief from the pain but will hopefully stabilise the joint or bone affected. They may suggest stopping the bical and watching for an anti-androgen withdrawal response (AAWR) before introducing abi or enza. Either way, the intro of a new drug should reduce the pain.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Aug 2021 at 08:15

Thank you for your reply LynEyre. It is always very much appreciated.

Sorry, but how long is temporary? Something like days or weeks or months?

User
Posted 24 Aug 2021 at 10:41
Sorry. Temporary in that it may reduce pain for a few days and then seems to just get bad again. But inside, the RT is doing its magic so fingers crossed, in a couple of weeks you start to feel more comfortable as the tumour settles and stabilises.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Sep 2021 at 15:55

Hi,

Grateful if Lynn could have a look at my recent post  yesterday on spinal cord campression and reply with her usual deep knowledge of APC.Her personal in box is full as usual so trying this contact route in desperation.

Anyone who could help me get this message to her would be a real hero.

Many Thanks. Norm

User
Posted 05 Sep 2021 at 20:01
Sorry Norm - will respond on your thread.