I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Acupuncture to control hot flushes

User
Posted 27 Aug 2021 at 20:07

I have been on Prostap and Enza since March... PSA down from 5.7 to 0.08 this week so all going well. Only symptom is hot flushes and oncology nurse has suggested a referreral for acupuncture. Has anyone been down this path for hot flushes?

User
Posted 30 Aug 2021 at 16:11

The British Acupuncture Council is non-committal in the context of menopausal hot flushes. But I am starting a course of acupuncture this week, just to see if it helps ( flushes every two hours at night, which is getting a bit much). I will feed back on how it goes. 

User
Posted 30 Aug 2021 at 18:34
I had acupuncture for hot flushes, really impressed with it and it really helped. I'd seen some reference to acupuncture and hot flushes so asked at Maggies for info. They gave me details of a cancer charity place here in Wirral, contacted them, had to get GP sign a sort of consent thing confirming my 'status' and had acupuncture. The charity asked for a donation but it was entirely voluntary but I was more than happy to donate and still do now and then.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Aug 2021 at 00:45
They used to offer acupuncture on the NHS to men on HT at our local hospital oncology department. It stopped with Covid but my acupuncturist told me that it us very effective for some men.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Aug 2021 at 16:11

The British Acupuncture Council is non-committal in the context of menopausal hot flushes. But I am starting a course of acupuncture this week, just to see if it helps ( flushes every two hours at night, which is getting a bit much). I will feed back on how it goes. 

User
Posted 30 Aug 2021 at 18:34
I had acupuncture for hot flushes, really impressed with it and it really helped. I'd seen some reference to acupuncture and hot flushes so asked at Maggies for info. They gave me details of a cancer charity place here in Wirral, contacted them, had to get GP sign a sort of consent thing confirming my 'status' and had acupuncture. The charity asked for a donation but it was entirely voluntary but I was more than happy to donate and still do now and then.
User
Posted 31 Aug 2021 at 03:09

Menopausal hot flashes for me lasted 6 months on a daily basis, with lots of sweating at night. When I read that it was normal, I only bear it and showered more often.  In fact, they gradually decreased with each passing month. By the 6th month, it was completely gone. I used acupucture for any neck or waist aches. It really did work. In Chinese TCM, one course of acupucture is usually 6 times treatment. In the case of my back very stiff-right neck aches, it took 9 one hr session (30 mins e=acupucture, 20 mins e-medicine, and 10 mins of moxibustion aka cupping) to get it cured. Thereafter, when I do get the occasional ache, I asked only for the 30 mins acupucture. The same goes for any sudden waist aches (which requires 3 - 30 mins session).

Now that I learn from everyone here that acupucture too helps with prostate cancer recovery hot flashes, I'm going to ask my friend if he has them and to go for it too. Thank you everybody. :-))

Edited by member 31 Aug 2021 at 03:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Sep 2021 at 18:51

I read on the Macmillan site that Evening Primrose tablets and also Sage Leaf tablets are good for combatting hot flushes. Both of these work for me.

The Sage I have found to be more effective, especially since I have started taking the tablets in the morning with breakfast.