I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Vile vial shortage - PSA test cancelled

User
Posted 01 Sep 2021 at 20:43

I was due a PSA test on 9th September which has today been cancelled because of the shortage of blood vials.

I have a telephone followup the following week. Just going to have to tell them no PSA result. Shouldn't matter too much as I was told I was going onto 6-monthly anyway and was surprised to get this appointment and blood test envelope for a 3-monthly test.

Still - it's annoying. There are more urgent/important cases than me though, so I can wait. 

Anyone else had this?

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 10:27
They cannot be that difficult to make - perhaps they could be produced in the UK, rather than importing as I suspect.
User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 11:28

Things like this are worrying, Alexcycles. Waiting for PSA results is bad enough without worrying about whether the equipment is available to allow them to be done.

Jasper I have been watching out for your update, good luck. 

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 14:41
Yep, critical shortage in Leeds as well - no routine blood tests are being done, I hear.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 06:40

Hi Alex, had my latest PSA blood test on 31/8 and the nurse mentioned the National shortage of blood vials which apparently is going to get a lot worse.

Worrying times.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 10:27
They cannot be that difficult to make - perhaps they could be produced in the UK, rather than importing as I suspect.
User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 11:28

Things like this are worrying, Alexcycles. Waiting for PSA results is bad enough without worrying about whether the equipment is available to allow them to be done.

Jasper I have been watching out for your update, good luck. 

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 11:29

Hi I managed to get my latest PSA blood test early as i was in the hospital and called into McMillan and they fitted me in that day, I was also had a call from my local surgery yesterday about my yearly medical review and i was told to call the surgery in October for blood tests so maybe the shortage may improve by then.

John.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 14:41
Yep, critical shortage in Leeds as well - no routine blood tests are being done, I hear.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 18:31
I had a text message on Tuesday informing me that my previously booked (6 monthly) test for Friday had been cancelled.

Waiting for bookings to re-open.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 20:04

Hi Alex

hope you get it sorted in due course. Mine are due middle of sept but will probably push to the end. Will keep you posted of any supply issues.

simon