I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HDR brachytherapy need help understanding

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 07:55

Hi its Chaz, is there anybody out there that has had High Dose Brachytherapy? I can see lots of different remedies & ideas on treatments but none on this? 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2021 at 16:42

Hi Chaz 

I have had HDR but slightly different to the way you will be getting it. From your other thread it says you will be getting it twice in 7 days. That is quite possible, but most people on here will have had HDR Brachy once and then had that followed by a short course of EBRT.

The only person I know of who has had it as the only treatment is on this thread.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t23156-HDR-Mono-Brachytherapy#post233988

If the cancer is a very small tumour it is probably a very sensible treatment, as it will cause no damage to other organs. Will you also be having Hormone Therapy? I think the thread above relates to treatment in Cardiff, is that where you are having the treatment? It seems very rare to have HDR Monotherapy in the UK. 

Dave

User
Posted 21 Nov 2021 at 10:23

Hi Dave - my treatment was completed on 10th November & I'm recovering now - think recovery may take a few weeks still a bit tender! -  all done now hopefully will get some good results on 23rd December - many thanks for your reply - keep well from Chaz

User
Posted 21 Nov 2021 at 12:36
Glad your treatment is over. PSA may take 18 months to two years to come down. Keep us informed over the coming years.

Dave

User
Posted 21 Nov 2021 at 14:34

I also had just one session of HDR, the other effectively being 23 sessions of external beam.

It took about 5 weeks for my immediate side effects to go, although the more serious ones were gone in a week, and I was back on my bike 5 days after the procedure.

I run the Prostate Brachytherapy UK Support Group. Send an email to support@prostate-brachytherapy.uk if you'd like to join.