I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Home after RARP

User
Posted 03 Sep 2021 at 09:33

Thanks for the messages of good wishes pre-op. 

My prostatectomy  and partial lymph node dissection (Thur Aug 26th) went well although it took until Monday for me to be home due to severe nausea and not being able to keep food down for 3 days. 

Back home now and improving daily. Life with a catheter is not proving to be too arduous thankfully. There are a couple of things that would have made it easier for me had I known beforehand.....

1. The amount of variation in urine production throughout the day is staggering. A couple of times I was getting concerned that the catheter was blocked only to realise the reason. Eg. Pre lunch well over a litre of urine in an hour on one occasion followed by less than 50ml in the same period. I now know what to expect!

2. I knew to expect bruising and swelling of penis and scrotum - but wow not that much. The advice to keep the catheter clean around the tip of the penis is all well and good but finding it in that black swollen mass is a different matter!!! Now 8 days post op just beginning to recognise things.

Next step TWOC on Thursday 9th - looking forward to some sort of normality returning although prepared to live with with pads etc for a while if necessary.

Soon to be referred to The Royal Marsden for SABR to the bone metastases

User
Posted 03 Sep 2021 at 20:21

Good news cocker2, excellent that you have taken part in a trial. All of our current treatments were once trials. So my hat goes off to someone who is helping find better treatment not just for yourself but for all who suffer from PC. 

Dave

User
Posted 03 Sep 2021 at 20:54

Cocker, take it easy but keep mobile, there are anesthetic, antiseptic and lubricating gels if the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore. 

Make sure you are well hydrated before you get to the TWOC ,do not hold back on drinking water, better to leak than have a catheter put back in. A cover for the seat and a towel in the car is a good idea just in case of a major leak. Standing up  is frequently mentioned as common time to leak, until you get used to using those pelvic muscles. I was told "no" pelvic floor exercises with the catheter in 

Hope recovery goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Sep 2021 at 10:47

Wishing you an uneventful recovery. Take care.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2021 at 11:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Wishing you an uneventful recovery. Take care.

What a beautiful choice of words. 

Dave