Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Which pump to purchase?

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 08:03

Dear All,

I am writing this email seeking for advice. 
I had RP in December 2020. Things are going well, all tests so far suggest the cancer was localised. Incontinence is recovering well, needing just one shield a day. ED is recovering overall but at a very slow pace. 

Because the Covid pandemic, I have not yet had my second review post surgery. I have phoned many times but I cannot get an appointment either to see my doctor or the sex clinic. 

I have decided to buy a pump myself. Which pump /model do you recommend? And which features should I look for?

Many thanks!

Henry

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 08:37

Top of the range is "SOMAerect" by imedicare. This is also the one prescribed by the ED Clinic should you go down that route.

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 13:06
Different ED nurses / urologists / andrology clinics / NHS trusts have different preferences but the ones that seem to be most commonly prescribed on the NHS are:

Farnhurst Elite - NHS code ES101

Soma-erect Response - NHS code 15019

Osbon Erec-Aid Esteem - NHS code XX-50

Ask your GP to prescribe - it will save you a fortune! If you do have to purchase one yourself, these range from £200-£350 so a simpler pump from a website like LoveHoney is better than nothing.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 17:49
Is there a rule on this forum against giving away (almost) unused pumps? I have Osbon Erec-Aid Esteem that I used once but am not planning to use again.
User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 18:14

I couldn't get a prescription pump at first so I bought a couple on line from amazon. You can get accessories separately. The squashy ball type of pump devices don't last so I got a trigger/pistol type seperatey. 

You can also get better rings and seals cheaply.

I eventually got Somarect on prescription. The advantage with the prescription one is the quality and variety of rings, choice of size tube, easier to put a ring on when required and you may get a demonstration. The advantage with the on line ones is they are far less cumbersome, can be used in the bath/shower and cost of extras is cheap. I use the online one more than the Somarect. They do exactly the same physically.

Remember take it slow, pump and release until you get max size and still release occasionally. The rings are only to maintain the erection when the pump is removed.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 19:57
With hindsight I would always buy the one that comes with a free demo from an suitably attractive sales agent.
User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 20:36

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Is there a rule on this forum against giving away (almost) unused pumps? I have Osbon Erec-Aid Esteem that I used once but am not planning to use again.

I posted John's to a forum member a couple of years ago - from what I can remember he lived in Ireland or Wales where pumps are not provided under the health care service. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 21:27

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. I also appreciate the offer to get an almost unused pump! 
I will discuss with my GP. Currently it seems impossible to see the consultant, possibly a combination of summer breaks and the back log due to Covid. The GP is definitely more accessible. 
My wife and I are looking forward to it. We have continued having sex routinely, soon after surgery, obviously not penetrating sex. Perhaps some of you have also experienced it, but  orgasms are now much more intense than before I had surgery. It has been a nice surprised for me. 
Thanks a lot fir your help and advice!!

Henry BB