I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fear of Catheters

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 10:28

My husband had his turp last Friday. Which went well. However he is having terrible issues with his catheter. Not helped by a rookie doctor trying and failing to recathaterise him as he had not peed. The nightmare continued for several hours until a surgical one was refitted. It was the most traumatic experience I have witnessed even with oral morphine. He feels he has a blockage at the end of his penis and even now it is still bleeding. After a terrible night the registrar  said it was the wrong type of catheter to go home with and he was not happy about the state of his foreskin and the way it was left. The thought of going through another out/in sent him into a spiral of despair. But they took it out and after several hours he did pee and was eventually allowed home. But as soon as he got through our door he was panicking about his dwindling passing of less and less  after several hours another midnight hospital visit for another catheter which was put in promptly and although painful is still in for 2 weeks. Is it the hormones he is on making him so anxious and his fear is genuine. Is this a normal experience he never to me had a low pain threshold so I'm at a loss to help. I have now spoken to our cancer care nurse who is arranging some tablets for his anxiety which I hope will help. But he just cannot move other than shuffling because it is pulling and so painful. Just offloading really and any suggestions to cope for the next 2 weeks

Bridie

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 12:57

Bridie.

I have had a uretheral catheter on around 12 separate occasions, I have normally tolerated them quite well. I have only had one uretheral catheter inserted while awake and in retention and it was not the best experience of my life but I would do it again. 

Instilagel or hydrocaine can help with any soreness to the eye of the penis. Keeping the catheter from moving will also help with comfort. Snug bit not tight underwear helps and a pad in the underpants can also help. Having the right straps and fixation devices can also make a big difference to comfort.  What size is the catheter, the info is on the coloured collar. A big catheter is going to be more uncomfortable than a smaller one, but the trade off is a bigger one drains easier. 

I found lying down usually helps with the drainage process.

Make sure under the foreskin is clean a make sure it is pulled back over the head after cleaning. I had a situation where foreskin would not  go back over the head and it got quite inflamed, my nurse advised me to use a bag of frozen peas on the penis to reduce swelling, then some lubricant to get the foreskin bag ove the head, of course as always if in doubt get qualified medical advice.

I also did self catheterization (obviously not while the catheter was in) and having the knowledge of how to perform it did take away the worry of going into retention.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 16:29

Hi Bridie,

Finding yourself not able to pee is terrifying. Obviously it is uncomfortable, but you are also acutely aware that some damage is going to happen if it is not resolved. After my HDR Brachy I just about managed to pee and medics were happy to discharge me, but whilst waiting for the discharge form I knew I was having problems, Dr said "if you have a problem just go to A and E" this was on the Saturday of a Bank Holiday, I said "no need for me to leave the hospital and be back in A and E I'm on the ward now so you may as well put a catheter in and at least I can go home and stay there". 

Anyway you've read the post on your other thread about CISC so you know that I think that is the way to go. Of course having just had surgery CISC may not be advised you need someone to confirm is shoving a tube past recent surgery is safe.

I had no problem with catheters going in or out, but I have read other posts on here suggesting some medics are incompetent at this. 

Having a catheter is fairly uncomfortable with it tugging etc. I presume in two weeks time they will try a TWOC. I hope it all goes OK if not definitely ask about CISC. As ColwickChris says it takes away the worry.

Dave

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 17:06
Thank you all for your helpfulness. I spoke to his GP well the receptionist! He did phone back as waiting for a week is too long when you feel the way he does. He is prescribing him something not sure what it is but hopefully it will ease this anxiety. He has a blood test Monday 2nd hormone injection Tuesday and oncology Wed so everything is going at a pace which does give him a focus. But he is refusing to go out for some fresh air But did manage a small sit in the garden yesterday and he is very fussy who he allows to visit!
Thanks again this forum is a wealth of knowledge even if only for me.
User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 23:18
Well the oncologist has decided docetaxel chemo for 6 cycles. It won't start till after the catheter is removed on 28th. Just hope all goes well with this. The side effects look horrendous but the consultant says its the best treatment as his gleason score is 9. And he wants him to have his flu and covid booster ASAP...hopefully he won't suffer too many side effects. What I did forget to ask and can't find is roughly how long is he on the drip for?
Thanks
Bridie