Show search

Notification

Error

Finally seeing a consultant again

User
Posted 11 Sep 2021 at 08:03

Hello all,

It's been a while since posting here. 

To be honest I'm a bit frustrated with gp. Back in October 2018 Pete's PSA had risen to 0.1. 2 years later in Oct 2020 it rose to 0.2.

March 2021 rose to 0.3 still 0.3 today.

The only reason Pete is seeing a consultant finally on Monday is because I pushed to get an appt. This is a man whose original diagnosis was t3 n1 m0. And Gleason 9!

I'm rather worried that scan might reveal a spread to bone, although Pete has no pain or any symptoms to suggest that. I appreciate we've had covid etc, but the more I think of how casual the GPS were, the more astounded I am. He's not been under a consultant for 4 years now!

Should I push for a pet scan etc? 

Many thanks

'Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, but faith looks up'
User
Posted 11 Sep 2021 at 12:28
Given that Peter's already had salvage RT, treatment from this point on really is a case of "management". The fact that his PSA appears to be stable is excellent news - there's no "doubling time". To be honest, I strongly suspect that they'll do nothing until there is a continuous and sustained rise in PSA. Every treatment is only effective for a limited period of time, so it's a case of using each one at the time when it'll be most beneficial.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 11 Sep 2021 at 13:57

I agree with Chris it is a case of management, and I agree with you that management is better done by a consultant than a GP. 

I don't know enough about PSMA scans and treatment options to give any strong opinion. It does seem now that if there are just a few mets then SABR can be used. I think once you have one met in reality you have a strong chance of micro-mets anywhere and SABR is unlikely to irradicate cancer from your body.

I guess on balance I probably would ask for a scan to see if there is anything which can be treated. 

Dave

User
Posted 11 Sep 2021 at 17:46

P and A.

Certainly push for the scan, but as you probably already know 0.3 is quite low for detecting the source. 

I was in a similar position but with lower Gleason. My onco nurse said a scan possibly at a PSA of 1, my oncologist said 2, 4 or even 8 before we would scan, he said PSA velocity was more of a consideration. 

Often said, the sooner HT starts the sooner it becomes less effective. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Sep 2021 at 09:48
Press for a Gallium 68 PET-PSMA scan, although nothing might show up, (£2600 privately), but if you get on an NHS waiting list, he might get one in a year or so when things might be clearer.

Consider a second opinion from another oncologist, either NHS or private.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.