Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

High PSA for 15 years.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 11:09

Hello Everyone

I have had a raised PSA for 14 years, it fluctuates so it doesn't always go up. I have had 2 biopsies one of these taking 28 samples, both were negative, I have also had 3 scans, 2 of these being mpMRI scans, also showing nothing. I was put back on Finasteride to help reduce enlargement again, I have been on it for a year but this time it has only dropped to 5.88, which of course is not a true reading because I'm on Finasteride, although flow is vastly improved, so that's my story. My question is, can high levels of testosterone (a very high sex drive) lead to an increase in PSA? this is the only question I can't get an answer to, any help gratefully appreciated.

Best Martin

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 13:06

Probably, certainly low levels of testosterone reduce PSA, and that is not just because the cancer cells are dormant it is because all prostate cells are dormant. I don't know whether in any individual it is a linear relationship between Testosterone and PSA i.e. double the testosterone = double the PSA, but I can certainly believe they are closely related. Are you sure your testosterone is high? sex drive is a clue, but I think you should get a testosterone blood test and yes if testosterone is above the normal range. I probably would be happy with that as an explanation if testosterone is high. I would keep monitoring PSA looking for any sudden increases.

Dave

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 13:13

Thank you Dave, extremely helpful. Best Martin

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 16:11
What is significant is not what your PSA level is, but what it’s doing. A raised but steady PSA is probably no cause for concern. A steadily increasing PSA is a flag that investigation is required.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Sep 2021 at 17:15

Thanks Chris

My PSA has been up to 8.8 and back down again to 4.95, I'm just not sure why my PSA has not dropped more now as I find it much easier to go to the loo. Maybe as always, unless it's rising steadily as you say, it doesn't really mean much.

Best

Martin