I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Urine retention 12 weeks after radical prostatectomy

User
Posted 25 Sep 2021 at 19:47

Hi I am 12 weeks post radical prostatectomy surgery (via the Davinci robotic machine). All was going extremely well (apart from a UTI 4 weeks in). Over the last 2 weeks my urine flow has gone from normal to a dribble, I can still empty my bladder but I'm going ten times a day & spending ages in the toilet. I've seen a consultant (I am UTI clear) & he has put me forward for a Cystoscopy, he mentioned a possible stricture that can be dilated. Has anyone else suffered from this & how did it turn out ?. Thanks

User
Posted 25 Sep 2021 at 23:52

I had a urine infection a few weeks post surgery, on further investigation a few weeks later they found a surgical clip in the bladder. 

Later on they found another clip lodged in the urethera and I later developed a uretheral stricture.

The infection may well cause the frequency and the clip may cause the slow flow. The clip issue is supposed to be rare but there is a few of us on here who had the same problem.

My stricture caused a very slow flow.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 12:27

Hi Zero

i had the same problem of slow peeing about 12 weeks or so after radical prostatectomy in November.

I think that mine is called a bladder neck stenosis and has caused me to completely block up three time with three trips to hospital to be catheterised.

I have had two cystoscopies to stretch the bladder opening followed by daily self catheterising try try and keep it open. I still doing it. It seems to be a difficult problem to treat. After using a large catheter I am usually am unable to pee but through a friend who has to self catheterise for different reasons I learned that I could get compact catheters in as smaller size that I can carry with me and empty my badder that way. Later in the day I am able to pee again. At least I don’t have go to hospital again in great pain with a full bladder.

I wish I had a better experience to tell you about. I hope someone else posts a better experience.

Geoff

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 18:47

Hi Chris 

Thanks for your reply, I've got a cystocopy in a couple of weeks time so hopefully I'll find out then what the problem is. Fingers crossed they can sort it out first time round which doesn't always seem to be the case.

Regards 

Steve

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 19:15

Hi Geoff

Thanks for replying to my post. Fortunately I can still wee, but it takes so long, its been easier to start wearing good old pads again & let it go as & when. Can I ask was yours a standard robotic prostatectomy?  a couple of my friends have had it done in the last year & their cancers were more advanced than mine & as yet they've had no problems.

When you self catheterize how long does the catheter have to stay in for & when you remove it can you wee normally again, ie could you go out for a few pints with friends if you wanted to ?.

I'm due a cystocopy in a couple of weeks hopefully they can fix me first time round (doesn't normally seem to be the case)

Sorry for all the questions.

Regards

Steve

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 20:32

The last post on this thread has details about self catheterisation. I only needed to do it for a few weeks, but I found it quite easy and convenient.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22995-Escaping-the-Catheter

I have no idea whether this will cure your stricture, but if I had to have a catheter for the rest of my life I would want to do self catheterisation. 

Dave

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 20:50

Hi Dave

Thanks, there is plenty of information to go on should things not go well for me with my cystocopy .

Regards

Steve

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 21:12

Hi Steve,

No problem re questions. Here is my reply.

My prostatectomy was open surgery not laparoscopic or robotic. I understand that robotic laparoscopic are more successful at reconnecting the urethra to the bladder. 
When I self catheterise I let it drain the bladder and then remove it. Mostly I am then unable to pee the next time I try but can empty my bladder using a compact, thinner catheter. I would have no hesitation in going out as I always carry at least one compact catheter with me.

If you go to the pub toilets you would need to use a cubicle otherwise you may get some strange looks if you stand at a urinal doing it!

I don’t think I would drink a few pints though - too much liquid to cope with!

I understand it can take two or three cystoscopies/stretching to get it right.

All the best. Your treatment my well be more successful than mine.

Geoff

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 21:26
Hi Geoff

Thanks for the additional information.

Best regards

Steve