Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bladder neck stenosis and radiotherapy

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 11:50

Hi all,

I had a radical prostatectomy in November 2020.

I have bladder neck stenosis and I’m doing daily self catheterisation to try and keep it open.

I am due to start salvage radio therapy in two weeks and have been told I can expect it to make the stenosis worse!

Does anyone have similar experience?

Geoff

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 14:24

Geoff

I had a suprapubic catheter installed before SRT as insurance against the stricture closing up.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 16:10

Thanks Chris,

Good idea although I don’t fancy the idea on other cut to my stomach and the risk of wound infection.
I suppose an alternative is to have an in dwelling catheter with a tap on the end fitted for the duration of the radiotherapy.

Geoff

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 21:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Chris,

Good idea although I don’t fancy the idea on other cut to my stomach and the risk of wound infection.
I suppose an alternative is to have an in dwelling catheter with a tap on the end fitted for the duration of the radiotherapy.

Geoff

I did initially get an infection on the two separate occasions the SPCs were first fitted but once settled it rarely gets an infection. Water infections are a bit more frequent.

In hindsight cutting a hole in the bladder wall is probably not a brilliant idea. A long term uretheral catheter can cause problems to the end of the penis. The joys of getting old and getting ill.😀.

I have a tap with a  bag attached,  the bag is convenient for when you get caught short. The tap is a good way of the bladder working normally.

Thanks Chris