Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

And so to Zolodex

User
Posted 04 Oct 2021 at 20:22

Hi All,

It’s a while since I posted. It’s been 18 months or so since my partner started on Bicalutamide but we were told today that his latest psa test shows it’s time to move on to zolodex. Can anyone advise what are the most likely side effects. I must admit to feeling really anxious even though we knew this was going to happen one day and we had done well to get 18 months 😊

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine...... 

User
Posted 04 Oct 2021 at 21:57

I was on zoladex for two years to help the RT do its job. Of course no libido, which I presume you are used to from the bicalutamide. The odd hot flush.

There were probably other things going on like loss of bone mass and loss of muscle mass but these were not too dramatic over a two year period. I don't think you need fear any worse side effects than you have had to put up with from bicalutamide. 

Dave

User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 09:29

Thanks Dave,

Yes all you mention are what he’s already had/has.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 19:23
I'm afraid that, as you probably already know, everyone is different. I have been on Prostap for 9 months, now Zoladex for 8 months, coupled with a second lot of Bical for the last 6 weeks. Usual reactions, especially the hot flushes which are a nuisance at night. I have found the Zoladex less intrusive than Prostap ( no muscle or joint pains for example), but many here will argue to the contrary

But to give you a bit of hope, I have just run my first marathon. Very slow and not very pretty but I beat the sweeper bus which was good enough for me! Its a question of keeping going and keeping active.

Good luck

User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 20:20

Thanks Olefogey,

He does keep active although not at the moment as he’s full of a nasty cold but in general the last 18 months he’s been really well all things considered. If I’m honest I’m probably more anxious than he is. We recently lost a friend to advance prostate cancer, and my stepdad is on palliative care at the moment for brain and lung cancer so it’s all to real at the moment.  
When he was first told it was advanced last February 2020 we were of course devestated but as the months passed and the Bicalutamide was keeping psa down we kind of settled down to the journey, and I’m sure we will do again in a few days and carry on with it as you have to do 😊

User
Posted 07 Oct 2021 at 12:41

Hi,

For me Zoladex gives my fatigue. I adjust my life accordingly. Mornings good, afternoons bad. The main coping strategy is to realise

that any depression/anxiety you get is due to the Zoladex and not anything else. So be kind to yourself. No blame.

Cheers, Otto

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 12:26

Hi :)

Six months or so since my last visit. Hit with a bit of a sledgehammer this morning during a telephone conversation with the oncologist. Latest PSA done just over a week since gave a reading of 51.9 up from .08. This is obviously a significant rise. So it's a repeat test next week and then a face-to-face on the following Monday. We both said we had expected a rise because he's been having some aches and pains just above his hips and lower back, as well as general aches and pains which we had thought, could be the effects of long covid. But neither of us expected such a rise. So a little bit shell shocked right now and obviously anxious.  

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 12:48

Hi olefogey, well done for running a marathon.  That is a fantastic achievement

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 18:47

Hi Annie,

Sorry to hear of the PSA rise over the last 6 months. An increase by that much must have been quite a shock to you both. Good luck with the retest and face to face appointment.

Regards John

User
Posted 12 Apr 2022 at 09:48
Hi John,

Thanks yes quite a shock but we have our heads around it again now so onwards we go...:)

User
Posted 18 Apr 2022 at 19:23
Good luck with the retest this week.

Plenty of people here understand what you are going through and will be thinking of you. You are not alone!

Ron

User
Posted 26 Apr 2022 at 23:59

Just thought I’d update. We saw the oncologist on Monday. The good news was no sign of cancer in bones. We are still waiting on the CT scan results. Psa had risen to 65.5 so quite a rise again in just three weeks so he will start Arbiratarone tomorrow. It also seems he’s now developed diabetes with a very high reading of HBA1c of 101 so appointment now with diabetic nurse on Thursday.

So another part of the journey begins … x