I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA Rise is worrying

User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 19:09

Hi. I was diagnosed in 2019 with PC and in July 2020 had robotic assisted surgery to remove the prostate. All went well until my first post op PSA test which was 0.2. I was disappointed initially but was reassured by the surgeon that we can just monitor this over the next 12 months. My PSA remained at 0.2 until October 5th 2021 when it has now risen to 0.3. To say I am upset and disappointed is an understatement. I have an appointment next week to speak to my surgeon regarding what the future holds.

Does anyone have a similar story and would share their thoughts with me.

many thanks 

Carl

User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 22:36

Carlos 

Have you been referred to an oncologist. I had SRT at 0.27 but our rates of rise are quite different. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 23:35
The surgeon should have referred you to oncology as soon as you got that post-op 0.2 result. I think don't take no for an answer now.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Oct 2021 at 02:35

Please ask for an immediate referral to oncology and don’t waste time with any prolonged telephone conversations with your surgeon, who unfortunately was not completely successful in removing all your adenocarcinoma the first time round.

Three of my friends had prostatectomies three years ago, and all had recurrence like you. Following adjuvant HT/RT, they are all doing fine now.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 12 Oct 2021 at 07:29  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 22:36

Carlos 

Have you been referred to an oncologist. I had SRT at 0.27 but our rates of rise are quite different. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Oct 2021 at 23:35
The surgeon should have referred you to oncology as soon as you got that post-op 0.2 result. I think don't take no for an answer now.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 07:03

Hi. I have not been referred to anyone as yet. I received a letter informing me that my surgeon will call me for a virtual appointment on the 3rd of November. I think this is way to long to leave me waiting and worrying.

Carl.

User
Posted 11 Oct 2021 at 14:11

Hi, you definitely want a referral to oncologist to discuss further treatment. As you know we were in a similar position post op and following the adjuvant RT PSA has been <0.1. Did you have a positive margin on pathology?

First face to face with Oncologist this Wednesday since completion of RT at Christmas (had two appointments cancelled). It will be one year to the very day that we had the very first appointment. Had PSA checked last week in preparation.  Currently on holiday for few days so putting it to the back of minds.

Best wishes to you.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2021 at 02:35

Please ask for an immediate referral to oncology and don’t waste time with any prolonged telephone conversations with your surgeon, who unfortunately was not completely successful in removing all your adenocarcinoma the first time round.

Three of my friends had prostatectomies three years ago, and all had recurrence like you. Following adjuvant HT/RT, they are all doing fine now.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 12 Oct 2021 at 07:29  | Reason: Not specified