I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

LEUPRORELIN INJECTION ADVICE

User
Posted 06 Oct 2021 at 19:55

Following biochemical recurrence and possible lung mets I have just started on a second course of Prostap injections. The first one was a 3 monthly dose and was given intramuscular. Checking NICE guidelines I have discovered it should have been given subcutaneously. Interestingly the one monthly dose can be given either way. 

My concern is that if the injection has been given the wrong way will it still be as effective? I know intramuscular injections are absorbed more quickly as the muscles contain more blood vessels.

I have also spoken to Takeda who manufacture Prostap, and they confirm the 3 monthly dose should be given subcutaneously. I have been in touch with my oncologist's secretary and my oncologist has apparently asked my GP to look into the efficacy of the 3 monthly IM injection of Prostap.

I would very much welcome members views and opinions on this issue. Many thanks. Richard 

Edited by member 06 Oct 2021 at 22:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Oct 2021 at 00:55
I think the only way of knowing the impact is to ask your GP to arrange for a testosterone reading.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 07 Oct 2021 at 13:34

Thank you Lyn. I am due full blood tests mid Nov., so would find out then. In the meantime will see if I get any come back from the GP looking into things. Richard