I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Secondary Prostate Cancer of the Liver

User
Posted 11 Oct 2021 at 18:48

After some advice / promising hope please?

My partner Ian has had Advanced Prostate Cancer (also in his bones) for nearly 4 years now and had chemo (docetaxel) initially in January 2018 and been on abiraterone for the last 2 years along with steriods. 

He hasn't been feeling too great in the last couple of months and thought it was a re-occurring kidney infection which he had last October.  In the last 4 weeks he's spent 2 stints off 4 days in the hospital due to this. 

He stopped taking his steriods as he couldn't keep anything down.  Oncology said it was okay to stop the tablets but they have since said they meant the abiraterone alone and not the steriods.  He had 11 days approximately no steriods.

He's since had a CT scan from Oncology and it turns out it wasn't a kidney infection but last Monday been diagnosed with secondary prostate cancer of the liver which is aggressive. 

He's struggling to eat and has lost 11Kg in the last two months. 

They asked him if he felt he was able for chemo and he said yes.  He does seem a lot stronger since hospital but no where near where he was before the end of July.

I asked if there was anything they could prescribe to make him feel more human and hopefully get his appetite and strength back up before chemo and they prescribed Dexamethasone instead of his Prednisolone steriods.

He's still not got a great appetite but managing to keep food down and not being sick.

He's got his pre-assessment for Chemo tomorrow then his first bout of Chemo (cabazitaxel) on Monday.

Anyone been in the same boat and if so, can you let me know if I can expect some positivity or has this horrendous disease got a hold too much??

Am I being over-realistic thinking he will start to get a bit stronger after his first blast of chemo?

Appreciate you taking the time to read this and hope someone can provide some strength and positivity in these really hard times. 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2021 at 00:16

Hi Lynn

Sorry I can't help. I'm mainly posting to say welcome, and to bump your post back to the top in the hope some one with more experience of chemo can help.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Oct 2021 at 10:42

Thanks Dave,

That in itself is a massive help - thank you.

Kindest Regards

Lynn

User
Posted 23 Oct 2021 at 00:53

Hi Lynn, 

My husband also has prostrate cancer that has spread to the liver.  He started chemotherapy again two weeks ago.

He is on palliative care with lots of support from hospice to deal with pain issues. 

I wish you all the best Lillian 

User
Posted 23 Oct 2021 at 09:08

Hi Lillian,

So lovely to hear from you.  How is your husband getting on?  Is he in the hospice or with you at home?  Sorry probably a silly question but Ian still with me at home.  Has he been ill for a long time?  

Ian had his first chemo on Monday and has been struggling.  I had the district nurses out yesterday (didn't even know such a thing existed until I called the doctor on Wednesday evening for a bit of help). 

The doctor provided me with end of care prescriptions last night just in case as he said the nurses said he wasn't too great.  He also said he might pull through the chemo but gave these so I'm prepared if he doesn't.  Think I'm still shell shocked.  He's a tough cookie but I'm sure there's only so much the body can take?

His brother and sister in law are on their way for a 7 hour car journey to provide support which I'm so extremely grateful for.  It's so comforting to know I'm not alone in this.  I still need to tell his kids.

He does seem to be getting stronger but its all came as such a shock and a lot to take in.  He was sick a lot last night and still can't get him to eat any food.  I've managed to get him back to sleep so fingers crossed he wakes up even more stronger with an appetite.  

He's struggling with really bad circulation in his feet and I got some morphine for this but he's not had much and saying the pain in subsiding.  His feet still not a great colour though.

How are you doing?  Are you okay?  Do you have a strong support team around you?

Kindest Regards

Lynn

User
Posted 23 Oct 2021 at 09:28

Really sorry to read this Lynn, really hope Ian recovers from his chemo and starts to feel much better soon. Glad you have some family support arriving. Wishing you both all the very best x

User
Posted 23 Oct 2021 at 09:28

Lynn, has Ian be referred to the local hospice team or Macmillan? They are more skilled than the hospital teams in balancing palliative treatments, pain control and being awake enough to be present. Someone should be galvanising physio/ occupational therapy to assess him and the home environment and to communicate with the local authority adult social care and NHS Trust re things like delivering a proper hospital bed to your house if needed. They can usually also help with food supplements and holistic therapies. Have you applied for PIP? Ian will probably be entitled to it under the fast track terminal route - this money is to help pay for any practical implements that will help him and / or for home assistance/ night sitters if you need them later down the road. It can be difficult to apply for but the hospice or Macmillan usually have people who can help you to complete the application.

Edited by member 23 Oct 2021 at 09:29  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 23 Oct 2021 at 13:46

Hi Lynn, sorry for late reply. 

When l read your post it sounded just like the awful journey Col and l are on, although Col is stable at the moment.

I would suggest you get the hospice team ASAP to  support you both, as l see from your post you are at home just like Col and l.

If you need to talk anytime please contact me. 

Col was 59 when the found a 9cm tumour on his kidney, it was removed and we were assured it was contained no mention of prostrate cancer, after all he was fit and well. Yes well, you probably know the rest,blood in his urine a visit to Out of hours gp who was retired saw the red flag only 6 six weeks later.

It had spread to his lung bones, he had a biopsy which produced an aggressive cancer of the prostrate he had a Gleason score of 10.

Cols drugs have stopped working now hence like your husband the harsh Chemotherapy which Col is tolerating at this moment. 

I'm so sorry for this you are going though and sometimes it is too much to take in.

I hope Ian improves soon.

My very best wishes to you both

Lillian