I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ongoing soreness

User
Posted 13 Oct 2021 at 11:35

I'm post op nearly 5 weeks (13/9/21), Robotic-assisted radical laparoscopic prostatectomy, Gleason 7(3+4). Catheter out on the 20/9/21. Due for post op followup 29/10/21. External wounds healing very well, I'm back walking 2/3k most days. I think I have a high level of incontinence, on average 9 pads/pull ups in 24 hours, 6 Tena level 3 during the day and 3 pull ups over night. 

At night I'm woken with what I now know is a signal to pee(in the early weeks it was intense pain, not so much now), the pad is seldom at capacity, I have a wee change the pad and go back to bed, this will happen at least 3 times, the first call is usually about an hour after hitting the sack, the 2nd about 90 minutes later and then maybe 2+ (this pad is usually at capacity). During the day I get the signal if sitting or lying but seldom if moving about. 

I'm doing pelvic floor exercises, at low intensity because I find them painful (I have a constant soreness in this area , in the evening it can be very sore) - is there anything else I could do at this early stage to help reduce incontinence, why do I get signals to pee sometimes and no others? 

I know I'm very early days and suspect time is the answer but if there was something I could be doing or that has helped others I be grateful.

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" - Mark Twain

User
Posted 13 Oct 2021 at 13:45

At this stage it isn't really about your pelvic floor so, although the exercises will do no harm, they are not critical. Your brain is having to relearn how to control the urinary sphincter; all the neural pathways have been messed around, cut and / or burnt; may still be bruised and confused; you are managing on one sphincter rather than two and, depending on your own pipework, the remaining sphincter may have been removed and then repositioned.

Where you are now is similar to when a toddler is being potty trained. To begin with a baby has no idea when it is weeing. By the time it gets to about 2 years old, the brain is starting to recognise the signals but still can't actually control the flow. In time, the brain learns how to hold the urine until they get to a potty or toilet - this is successful most of the time as long as they are concentrating but as soon as they get tired or engrossed in a game or distracted by a TV programme, accidents happen. Basically, bladder control is initially conscious, then becomes semi-conscious and eventually, sub-conscious or reflex. Your brain is currently in that conscious stage.

Edited by member 13 Oct 2021 at 19:34  | Reason: fat fingers

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Oct 2021 at 19:23

Thanks Lyn, I'm looking for forward to moving to the toddler stage 😂, I understand what yo are saying, its just to early to expect too much ... just give time ... time, I could do without the soreness but I should be grateful that's all I'm dealing with. 

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" - Mark Twain