I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wow I was not expecting that

User
Posted 13 Oct 2021 at 19:42

I have just seen the histopathology report following my RARP- Good news at last?

Final Diagnosis:
PROSTATE WITH BILATERAL PELVIC LYMPH NODES AND ANTERIOR PROSTATIC FAT (POST
ANDROGEN DEPRIVATION THERAPY AND CHEMOTHERAPY, ATLANTA TRIAL) - NO RESIDUAL
TUMOUR; DISEASE STAGE ypT0 ypN0 (0/27)

There remains the issue of the metastatic deposit in the pelvic bone which will soon be treated with SABR at the Royal Marsden, Chelsea.

Still on ADT 3 monthly injections but hopeful….

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 17:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Can I ask….are you still having ADT injections?

Yes still having injections at the moment but will have that conversation with my consultant next month.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 17:34

That is good news, so in theory once the bone met is blasted there are no prostate cells anywhere in your body to cause any further trouble (micro-mets are the possible fly in the ointment). With a clinical trial one never knows the results, but if all goes well then maybe advanced prostate cancer will become curable rather than just manageable.

That is my reading of the pathology but yet to talk to the consultant about what it all means for the future.

The trial  is certainly hoping to show that small burden or oligometastatic cancer should be treated aggressively and, as you say, the mets blasted so that a cure MAY be possible but at least a longer time progression free than at the moment.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 00:58

Hi Cocker2,

I don’t completely understand your report I’m sorry but sounds like things are going pretty well.

My OH was diagnosed T3a N1 (initially M1b, but after 2nd opinion and PSMA pet scan they confirmed no mets)

He is opting for RARP then is expected to require ART, he is currently on HT (prostap3)

Did you join the Atlanta trial?? I initially looked at this when we were told advanced but since slight change in diagnosis managed to get referral for op at RM.

Really hope everything works out well for you, would be great to keep up with your journey as lots of people have advised us against RARP because of node involvement.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 15:24
Thanks Elaine

Yes I opted to join the trial once I found that I could not get radical treatment under NHS as I had been diagnosed with advanced PCa. I was randomised to one of the treatment arms and chose RARP followed by SABR to the bone

The initial staging from MRI and biopsy last year was T3a N0 M1b. The staging on the pathology report means, following the chemo I had last winter and the ADT injection for the last year, there was no sign of any active tumour remaining in the prostate, surrounding tissue or pelvic nodes. So yes going well so far.

It was a difficult decision but I do not regret having the op and fortunately side effects have been minimal. I hope everything goes well for the OH and that he has a similar outcome.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 15:48

Wow that is such great news, really brings a huge smile to my face when I see posts like this on here. Really pleased for you and long may it continue.

Really hope my hubby has the same success as yourself after his op 👍🏽

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 17:21

That is good news, so in theory once the bone met is blasted there are no prostate cells anywhere in your body to cause any further trouble (micro-mets are the possible fly in the ointment). With a clinical trial one never knows the results, but if all goes well then maybe advanced prostate cancer will become curable rather than just manageable.

Dave

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 17:25

Yes still having injections at the moment but will have that conversation with my consultant next month.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 17:34

That is my reading of the pathology but yet to talk to the consultant about what it all means for the future.

The trial  is certainly hoping to show that small burden or oligometastatic cancer should be treated aggressively and, as you say, the mets blasted so that a cure MAY be possible but at least a longer time progression free than at the moment.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2021 at 23:18

This video was posted by old barry.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkqizmvqJPo 

What the doctor says does sound impressive, but randomised control trial is the proof of the pudding, not a selection of very impressive anecdotes. 

I'm very glad you have taken part in the trial and I hope that you do well. 

Dave

User
Posted 15 Oct 2021 at 00:08

This was the video that I had seen Dave. It may have been yourself that had posted it previously. It was really interesting and definitely gives us hope 👍🏽