I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Potential treatment ... ?

User
Posted 17 Oct 2021 at 05:04

As with all research that is ongoing, this is interesting but still unproven.

Link between cholesterol and metastatic prostate cancer

User
Posted 17 Oct 2021 at 13:10

It is interesting. It takes a long time for research to turn into treatment. I think cancer in an individual probably advances faster than research, but future generations will one day benefit, cancer will become no more serious than the common cold.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Oct 2021 at 13:46
I'll go for that - increased Omega 3 and lower cholesterol on the menu from tomorrow although through intentional diet over 18 months my weight has reduced by about 10 kg to 86 kg. I have 3 mets and my pSA is 0.03 with 2 radiation to go so it may be of some help as an addition to what my ocologist prescribes.
User
Posted 17 Oct 2021 at 21:28

Yes, I'll go with that too Cayambe. If nothing else the omega 3 should do no harm and keeping an eye on cholesterol is always sensible.

Based on advice I picked up here and from my GP protein shakes are helpful with diet if you're putting on fat but losing muscle mass, which is what I'm up against at the moment.

User
Posted 17 Oct 2021 at 21:40
Try the prostate care cookbook - available on Amazon.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Oct 2021 at 22:30
Thank you Lyn.
User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 00:38

I had to up my protein intake to maintain (or almost maintain) muscle mass. Otherwise I found exercise was burning muscle. (A useful discovery from using body composition scales.) That was mostly done with chicken and salmon, so I've probably had reasonable Omega-3 levels from the Salmon. Coincidentally started statins around same time I was diagnosed with PCa, 3 years ago.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 05:08

Andy, have you managed to shovel in enough protein to allow you to exercise as much as you'd like?

Before all this started I used to run 5km, 4 days a week and ride 100 km over the weekend. I had thought that after my RT I'd be back at full strength in good time. I wasn't told about Zoladex knocking strength and energy around so badly. The extra detail, that exercise can actually burn muscle explains a lot to me, thanks.

Prostate Care Cookbook looks like the go.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 07:19

Don't hold your breath waiting on this one ...

Cannabinoids and Prostate cancer

There's something of a tendency to look at cannabis derivatives as the answer to any disease you can think of and while it's turning out to be useful it's not a panacea, but there's some interesting information in here such as:

The retinoblastoma tumor suppressor gene RB1 is more commonly mutated in metastatic and ADT-recurrent prostate cancer than in primary tumors, while the expression of the ST6GalNAc1 gene is upregulated in primary prostate cancer cells and repressed in patients undergoing androgen deprivation therapy [4]

and

Recent evidence suggests that cannabinoids are powerful regulators of cell growth and differentiation [22]. They have demonstrated anti-tumor effects in experimental models by decreasing the viability, proliferation, adhesion, and migration of various cancer cells [23,24,25]. Therefore, cannabinoids can be potentially used in the treatment of prostate, glioma, and breast cancers, as well as immune-related malignancies

sorry about the presentation but cut and paste is beyond me on this site.

Jules

Edited by moderator 07 Dec 2022 at 10:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 20:30

This is medium-long term but is not an extension of existing treatments and could be much more user friendly:

mRNA vaccines

Founding members of the bio-tech company that helped develop the Covid vaccine believe it could be re-purposed to prime the immune system to attack cancer cells.

Jules