Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa increased from 1.2 to 2.97 in 7 months concern

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 21:25

Hi

i’m 47 and for the last 9 months I’ve been suffering with blood in my seamen (100% of the time), changes in my seamen actually go back for 12 months.

I had two initial DRE’s in which the doctors felt they could feel some firmness, but a TRUS didn’t find anything sinister. Also an MRI 12 months ago before the blood started also didn’t didn’t find anything.

What I’m really worried about is my psa, it was 1.2 in March and now in October it’s 2.97…. I’ve read some info online that this type of increase for my age is worrisome.

i’m currently beside myself waiting for a 2 week referral which I suspect is backlogged (this was the situation back in Feb too when first referred).

Should I be worried? 

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 23:36

Hi,

Should you be worried?  The NHS website says blood in semen is not usually prostate cancer.   A rise in psa is often not that either.   

However it's better to worry than to be complacent.   I'd be telling myself it's unlikely.   Although in darker moments, around 3am, I'd probably be thinking I was the one.   A psa of nearly 3 is low and the doctors have found nothing. 

Some would say a TRUs biopsy isn't enough so have a template biopsy.

On the other hand many men have prostate cancer but it doesn't develop so there's always a risk of overtreating.  Try to keep a level head and don't over-react.  Once you start on this treadmill it's hard to get off.  So you perhaps could wait a bit and watch your psa or ask for a template biopsy.  Take the route that will calm your nerves, there's no point in spending a lot of time worrying because you didn't ask for more diagnosis.  It's better to decide what you want and keep on that track.

We're all different and our cases usually have subtle differences.

All the best, 
Peter

User
Posted 22 Oct 2021 at 22:00

Thanks Peter

At times like this, I’m usually good at sticking to facts and what I do know, but I just happened to read something by a urologist that suggested high PSA rise in a short time was a bad thing for someone in their 40’s…. And that of course has really scared me against the backdrop of symptoms I’ve had now for nearly a year.

My 2 week referral has now resulted in a telephone appointment early next week. So hopefully I can explore my worries in more detail sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Jon