I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Gleason 9 after Turp

User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 19:57

Hello survivors and supportive partners.  My other half (54 years old) underwent TURP surgery last week. He was having trouble urinating, and it was suspected as benign prostate enlargement, since he had a low PSA of 1. They took a biopsy sample during surgery and it came back with Gleason score 4+5 (9). This was a bit of a shock to say the least. Other than the weak urine stream he feels good overall - no other symptoms. Overall in fairly good health, although he does have managed diabetes with metformin. This week he has bone scan and CT scan, and then meeting with doctor on November 4th to discuss results/treatment. Any advice or folks out there with similar stories?

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 18:05
An awful lot of men have prostate cancer found purely by chance as a result of some other treatment or test. That's what happened to me, too. The important thing is that it has now been found and, assuming the bone scan is clear, treatment will be given with curative intent.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 23:22
Your experience is not unusual, Fingers crossed the scans are clear.
User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 07:50

Tony was diagnosed gleason 9  and 4+5  when he was 61, he will be 76 and is still here, treatments have really movedon since his diagnosis. good luck with the rest of the results.

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 14:51

I was gleeson 9 PSA 25 had 37 sessions off radiotherapy decapeptyl every 3 months now PSA 0.06 feeling good 6 months on now back with gp for 6 monthly check thing's will improve gaz61 ๐Ÿ‘

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 15:55

I had the same problem 10 plus years ago 
Been incontinent now for about 8 years wish I had never had a Turp , go through 6/8 pads a day 
Good luck,

Barry
See My profile

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 17:36
Hi my OH was 4+5 unfortunately had spread to lymph nodes so went straight for chemo.

Now on trial drugs ,heโ€™s still working full time and we lead a near normal life .

It will be 6 years since diagnosis in November !

Gary was 55 when diagnosed.

Hope all goes well for you

Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Oct 2021 at 23:22
Your experience is not unusual, Fingers crossed the scans are clear.
User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 07:50

Tony was diagnosed gleason 9  and 4+5  when he was 61, he will be 76 and is still here, treatments have really movedon since his diagnosis. good luck with the rest of the results.

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 13:32
Thank you so much essexbabe (love the username!) and francij1. Its a scary time for sure, but knowing you are not the only ones to go through it and that there is a lot of hope if truly comforting. Thank you for your replies.
User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 14:47

Hi I had gleeson score off 9 PSA 25  had 37 lots off radio therapy and on 2 years hormone therapy 6 months on PSA 0.06 feeling good just PSA  test every 6 months been passed back from hospital to my own gp things will improve good luck gaz

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 14:51

I was gleeson 9 PSA 25 had 37 sessions off radiotherapy decapeptyl every 3 months now PSA 0.06 feeling good 6 months on now back with gp for 6 monthly check thing's will improve gaz61 ๐Ÿ‘

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 15:55

I had the same problem 10 plus years ago 
Been incontinent now for about 8 years wish I had never had a Turp , go through 6/8 pads a day 
Good luck,

Barry
See My profile

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 17:36
Hi my OH was 4+5 unfortunately had spread to lymph nodes so went straight for chemo.

Now on trial drugs ,heโ€™s still working full time and we lead a near normal life .

It will be 6 years since diagnosis in November !

Gary was 55 when diagnosed.

Hope all goes well for you

Debby

User
Posted 26 Oct 2021 at 18:05
An awful lot of men have prostate cancer found purely by chance as a result of some other treatment or test. That's what happened to me, too. The important thing is that it has now been found and, assuming the bone scan is clear, treatment will be given with curative intent.

Best wishes,

Chris