I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

‘A new to tool assess sexual dysfunction in prostate cancer patient: The Inclusive Prostate Cancer I

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 15:51

‘A new to tool assess sexual dysfunction in prostate cancer patient: The Inclusive Prostate Cancer Index’

Cancer survivorship both in its assessment and management, is becoming a growing issue as more patients live with the after effect of prostate cancer treatments. Many tools have been developed to assess sexual function following treatments such as the Expanded Prostate Cancer Index (EPIC) or the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF). However, these do not capture the experience of gay, bisexual and transsexual (sexual minority) patients.

The Restore Group, has developed the Inclusive Prostate Cancer Sexual Functioning Index (IPSI). This unpublished study used 401 sexual minority patients whom completed an online battery of urinary and sexual functioning including a new 37-item instrument about their sexual functioning post treatment for prostate cancer.

Whilst it is important to develop a tool that properly addresses sexual minority patients’ sexual dysfunction. The goal moving forward should be an inclusive questionnaire that can be used no matter their sexual preference. This study aims to address this by validating this new questionnaire in a post-prostate surgery group of patients that will consist of sexual majority and minority patients.

To help with the formulating study, we are looking to run some online patient and public work to get input from patients with prostate cancer, including those post-prostate surgery and both sexual minority and majority patients. If you can help please contact Findlay.macaskill@gstt.nhs.uk