I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel Insurance that doesn't cost the earth!!

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 10:29

Can anyone recommend travel insurance. My husband has advanced stage 4 Prostate Cancer spread to the bones. He is good at present. I have tried a few insurance companies but they are all rediculous money.  We would like to get some holidays before he can't really go. Thank you. 

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 13:44
If you're certain that the cancer itself won't cause any medical problems while you're away on holiday, the cheapest way to do it will be to simply exclude cancer cover from the travel insurance. Most insurers will do this and you'll then get your insurance at the normal price.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 23:02

Chris is correct, and that is the approach I would take. But the disadvantage is that the insurer will try and blame anything that happens on the cancer, so for example a broken bone as a result of a fall may get blamed on a bone met.

As I am in remission I would not hesitate to travel to the USA with minimal insurance. But if i were stage 4, I think I would want to be no further than one days drive or train journey from the UK. So France, northern Italy, northern Spain would be as far as I would want to go if I only had minimal insurance.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Nov 2021 at 15:25

I normally get all the insurance I can get but have taken a few holidays without covering Prostate Cancer.  Although I'm currently undetectable after the op so a dramatic event seems unlikely.

That said I still try to book fairly close to the holiday and look for holidays with the ability to change dates, or pay the full amount as late as possible.  Losing a deposit can be less than the insurance especially if you pay a supplement for better cover.

This might not be helpful but possibly if I was Stage 4 and wanted a holiday I'd try to find out the worst that could happen medically and if I could have a scan or something to see if it's likely to happen.   If you went a few years with nothing happening you might kick yourself for not going.   On the other hand if you needed urgent care and an air ambulance it could cost a lot of money.  I guess you've been through all that.  

I'd also be careful about buying an insurance that doesn't actually do what the headline says it does.  I'd read the small print.

I hope you find something.

All the best, Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 13:44
If you're certain that the cancer itself won't cause any medical problems while you're away on holiday, the cheapest way to do it will be to simply exclude cancer cover from the travel insurance. Most insurers will do this and you'll then get your insurance at the normal price.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 23:02

Chris is correct, and that is the approach I would take. But the disadvantage is that the insurer will try and blame anything that happens on the cancer, so for example a broken bone as a result of a fall may get blamed on a bone met.

As I am in remission I would not hesitate to travel to the USA with minimal insurance. But if i were stage 4, I think I would want to be no further than one days drive or train journey from the UK. So France, northern Italy, northern Spain would be as far as I would want to go if I only had minimal insurance.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 21:26

Try Insure With. Husband has Stage 4 and is well at present. Definitely speak to them. Don’t try to fill in online.  We got worldwide including USA for just over £500.  He was diagnosed Jan 21 and we have been away three times this summer with no issues. 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2021 at 08:52
Corrie, the "Insurewith" website currently says "We're currently unable to issue new policies".

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 10 Nov 2021 at 15:25

I normally get all the insurance I can get but have taken a few holidays without covering Prostate Cancer.  Although I'm currently undetectable after the op so a dramatic event seems unlikely.

That said I still try to book fairly close to the holiday and look for holidays with the ability to change dates, or pay the full amount as late as possible.  Losing a deposit can be less than the insurance especially if you pay a supplement for better cover.

This might not be helpful but possibly if I was Stage 4 and wanted a holiday I'd try to find out the worst that could happen medically and if I could have a scan or something to see if it's likely to happen.   If you went a few years with nothing happening you might kick yourself for not going.   On the other hand if you needed urgent care and an air ambulance it could cost a lot of money.  I guess you've been through all that.  

I'd also be careful about buying an insurance that doesn't actually do what the headline says it does.  I'd read the small print.

I hope you find something.

All the best, Peter