I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hello everybody

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 23:11

Hello, I joined as my younger brother has just been diagnosed and has opted for active surveillance every six months. This seems a long time and has worried me to be honest that it will get out of control. He was offered  prostatectomy or radiotherapy as his other options. I am looking to educate myself in order to help him as much as I can.

judith.

User
Posted 04 Nov 2021 at 23:53

Hi Judith, welcome. Prostate cancer is very slow growing, in fact sometimes so slow growing that it just stops growing at all. Active surveillance, is a good way of avoiding unnecessary treatment of what may be a harmless cancer. Of course if it is seen to be progressing then something can be done. In a six month period it is very very unlikely to have progressed to a worrying extent. If you can let us know his age, his PSA and his biopsy results (Gleason score) we will be able give opinions of how serious we think his predicament is.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Nov 2021 at 01:09
Hi Judith,

My friend has been on active surveillance for five years and is doing well.

He insists on quarterly PSA tests, and an annual MP-MRI, together with a meeting with his consultant. I suggest your brother does the same, and gives it a go for at least a year.

The ‘surveillance’ should be the regimen above, and don’t let anyone try to cut out any of the steps to save money!

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2021 at 00:55
Hi Judith,

the NICE protocol for AS is PSA test every 3-6 months in the first year and every 6 months from year 2 onwards. There may have been some discussion with your brother about whether he preferred 6 months to 3 months - or it may be that he was diagnosed with a very small, low risk cancer which is simply not going to change significantly in 6 months.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 03:15

Hello everyone. From his date of diagnosis my brother has only just heard from urology who asked that he get his bloods done for a psa test at his gp. He wasn’t going to go and has been saying he thinks it’s all a waste of time as he is never going to have treatment because he doesn’t want the side effects. He has told me today that his psa has come back on the gp record as 10ng. It started as 8 I think. So this is around 18 months on and I wondered what is the significance of the increase? He is getting back pain and leg pain frequently.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 07:32
The significance is he may have prostate cancer.

Why is he having PSA tests if he doesn't want treatment?

Has he seen the consequences of a late PC diagnosis?

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 08:00

It sounds like someone was tasked with catching up with all those forgotten during COVID. It's not good that he hasn't been actively monitored, but NHS admin is not good at the best of times, so it really is up to each patent to know what to do, and when. If the patient doesn't want to follow their regime, it's probably quite easy to simply drop off the radar.

He should have had 3-monthly PSA tests in the first year to work out his PSA velocity (rate PSA is changing and how much it fluctuates in his case). If it remained stable, the interval would be increased, but still at least 6-monthly. He should have had an MRI scan each year, so coming up to his second one, and this would include spine if there was pain there, just to be sure it's not cancer.

A rise from 8 to 10 in 20 months might not sound much, but with no intervening readings, you can't tell if it stayed at 8 and rose to 10 in the last 3 months (which certainly would be concerning), or if his readings move all over the place anyway but there's no upward trend.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 11:17

Sorry I should have said he has got prostate cancer and opted for the active surveillance in November 2021 in a telephone call from the urology consultant but had not been followed up and didn’t want to chase it. I know he’s very worried as am I but he has other problems with depression and disability. I try to encourage him all I can to go for follow up and ask questions.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2023 at 11:30

@Andy62  THANKYOU so much for your detailed reply it is very helpful and much appreciated and I will let my brother know what I am finding out here. I have tried to encourage him to join to ask questions so I can only hope he will.