Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried! biopsy

User
Posted 05 Nov 2021 at 11:57

Hello everyone

I have come on here because I would like some advice.

In June 2020 my PSA level was 2.73

In June 2021 had risen to 3.3

My doctor referred me to have an MRI scan which came back with Likert 3 indeterminate risk area of 2 - 8 oclock in the peripheral zone. (not sure what this means) then was referred for a biopsy.

I went to the appointment where it was discussed with the surgeon that my level wasn't really a concern at this stage and told me what the procedure involved and scared the hell out of me - I told him I think I will walk.  His reply was 50 % of his patients do walk. He said as your level is only just above 3 suggested a repeat blood test to check the PSA level in 3 months and said he would have to discharge me back to my doctor.

I am now in October and had a blood test (18 October) and it came back at 3.6 so my doctor referred me back to the urologist department where the process started again.  Another blood test (27 October) has come back at PSA 4.

I have had a call from the hospital to ask me to go in for an MRI scan (my second one since July).

Can anyone tell me how bad 4 is? I am really anxious and nervous to have the biopsy if it is offered again.

My age is 53.

Carl 

User
Posted 05 Nov 2021 at 13:17

Hi Carl,

4 isn't a high number but is an indication that there is something worth investigating.

The biopsy isn't pleasant but its not a huge deal either and would hopefully give you an idea of what you are dealing with ( which may or may not be prostate cancer)

I went through a very similar process ( my PSA was 3 when it was first flagged and 5.8 when I had the biopsy)

User
Posted 05 Nov 2021 at 13:22

Hi Carl,

I am no expert on this cancer but I am fairly recent on the journey, I am 6 weeks into Hormone treatment.  My original PSA was 47 so I was 10X your figure, I had a further PSA test 2 weeks ago and it was down to 2,2 which is a pleasing start, 

it is probably best to wait and see what the biopsy turns up then you will have a clearer idea of things. The not knowing 'what if 'is the worst part, when you have some clear figures it will be easier.

Steve.

Edited by member 05 Nov 2021 at 13:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Nov 2021 at 14:45

It's not so much the number that matters, Carl, as the fact that your PSA is steadily increasing. That's a "red flag" that investigation is needed. You may or may not have prostate cancer (around half of men your age have it, by the way), but the only way to know for sure is to have the biopsy and look at cells under a microscope.

Don't get stressed about a biopsy. It's undignified and uncomfortable, but no more painful than having a filling at the dentist. If it does turn out that you do have prostate cancer, it will almost certainly be localised (ie contained within the prostate) which is an eminently treatable condition.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2018 aged 55 (and kidney cancer too - two for the price of one!). Three years later and everything's treated and life is good.

Waiting for a diagnosis is the most stressful part of the whole experience. We've all been there. Once you know where you stand, even if the outcome is a cancer diagnosis, it all gets much easier to handle.

Very best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 05 Nov 2021 at 14:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Nov 2021 at 15:00

Carl 

Unless they can identify another reason for your PSA rise, I would get the biopsy done. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Nov 2021 at 01:16
What a shame that the doctor scared you into not having the biopsy. About 120,000 prostate biopsies are undertaken each year in England and the risks are minimal. Have the new mpMRI, see whether anything has changed and then have the biopsy. The side effects of undiagnosed, uncontrolled prostate cancer are far greater than the side effects of a biopsy.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard