I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiation Therapy New to the Group

User
Posted 06 Nov 2021 at 23:58

Started Radiation this week was wandering if anyone else has any input on what to expect with Radiation? 

User
Posted 07 Nov 2021 at 13:06

How many fractions are you having? 20? 37?

There are lots of accounts of RT treatment on the site, mine included. Generally speaking, there's no trouble at all for the first few weeks - side effects are cumulative and generally peak around two weeks after treatment ends. I started having some difficulty peeing (a prescription for Tamsulosin fixed that), burning pain when peeing (drink cranberry juice) and frequent peeing (just have to wait for that one to wear off). Rear end wise, it's common to start passing quite a lot of mucus and you may get some diarrhoea. It'll all sort itself out after RT stops; peeing issues in a few weeks; bowel stuff generally takes longer.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 07 Nov 2021 at 13:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 22:29

I am having 28 treatments. I am on treatment number 5. So just beginning. 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2021 at 09:42
Just remember this wise advice -
1. Never trust a fart!
2. Never walk past a toilet without using it.
Hermit.
User
Posted 09 Nov 2021 at 09:45

I love your attitude!

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Just remember this wise advice -
1. Never trust a fart!
2. Never walk past a toilet without using it.
Hermit.

And there are some good reasons to train your bladder back into its full capacity. https://www.recoveringman.net/additional-benefits-of-pelvic-floor-physiotherapy/ for details

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 19:36

Some people find they become somewhat sore in the Bum area. If experienced use non scented soap to wash the area and only dab affected area with a little very mild cream. Your hospital may have a preference. for what to use, I had to ask. If you are also having HT, this can compound side effects and you may need to pee more urgently and frequently. I am convinced that exercise is beneficial even if you have to force yourself to do this but not overdoing it, remember your body is having to repair itself due to damage to good cells.

Edited by member 05 Jan 2023 at 13:33  | Reason: Not specified

Barry