I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Frequency of urination/radiotherapy side effects

User
Posted 07 Nov 2021 at 18:16

Hi can anyone answer a question about the longer term effects of radiotherapy relating to urinary frequency?
My husband is on week 3 of 4 of RT and is getting up to pee between 3 and 6 times a night! It’s exhausting 😣He has been on tamsolousin since diagnosis but I’m not sure it’s really helped that much and certainly isn’t at the moment. He was told he has an enlarged prostate at diagnosis (not hugely enlarged). Will the radiotherapy ultimately shrink the prostate when treatment is finished and make the whole PU easier, or is he heading towards the dreaded outflow surgery or acute retention and catheterisation? Is there any other meds that could be added in on top of tamsolousin?. Already trying common sense approach as in reduce fluids in evening and no stimulants or bladder irritants etc

User
Posted 07 Nov 2021 at 19:52
Presumably he isn't drinking any caffeine, alcohol or anything acidic or alkaline. Cranberry juice (the proper stuff, not cheaper 'from concentrate') is good for calming the bladder. You may have reduced the fluids in the evening too much?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Nov 2021 at 20:22
I experienced the same side-effects myself towards the end of my RT. For me it peaked around two weeks after my RT ended, and peeing frequency was back to normal a month after that. I have remained on Tamsulosin, though and will be on it permanently to deal with flow issues. What did help me with the tiredness issue (yes it is exhausting having to pee every 45m all night long!) was to buy a plastic urine bottle (Amazon) so I didn’t have to get out of bed. It let me get back to sleep almost immediately.

This is a very common side-effect of RT. It will improve once treatment ends.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 07 Nov 2021 at 21:55
Yes ... the need to pee and the suddeness of the urge is worrying, and the break - up of sleep does not help. But almost two weeks after last fraction I feel much better mentally and no longer look like death warmed up. Hopefully, other side effects will subside over the month.
User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 12:45
Twelve years after RT I'm still getting up between two and five times a night. That may sound like hell but by and large I have adapted to it. I generally get back to sleep fairly quickly and when I don't, I just accept it and find ways to occupy my mind.

Tried a range of possible solutions over the years including a strict OAB-friendly diet (no fizzy drinks, alcohol, citrus fruits, tomatoes, chocolate), reducing fluid intake to 1.5 ltrs/day, no fluid after 7pm as well as several medications (Oxybutynin, Tolterodine and Myrabegron).

Medications did help but all also triggered sleepless nights through palpitations / arrhythmia / brachicardia. In the end it was a relief to give them up.

Having experience too many failures from medical interventions in the past I am not prepared to risk any more. So I now accept this is just the way things have to be and get on with living my life.

User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 17:53

Thanks everyone for your advice/perspectives 😉