I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ADT and Testosterone score

User
Posted 07 Nov 2021 at 19:50

I've been on ADT for 18 months for my prostate cancer and have a low PSA at last reading but consultant arranged for Testosterone test as well as a double check.

The Testosterone result was 1.1 but I can't find anywhere to let me know if this is a good reading. I have no idea how they measure Testosterone - what would be a normal range whereas there is plenty of info on PSA scores.

Can anyone help?

User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 00:11

Normal male level (excluding the US which uses different units from the rest of the world) is around 7 to 27, although you'll see a slightly different range reported just about every time you see it mentioned, and it also varies slightly with age. The wide range is because different people have a different sensitivity to testosterone. Men who are more sensitive have a lower natural level, although level declines with age too for other reasons.

There's a level known as castrate level, which is the level you would have if castrated, and is also the level women typically have, and that's around 1.2. The hormone therapy injections are supposed to hold you at or below castrate level. They usually hold below - I varied from 0.2 to 0.4, and I often hear of values up to 0.7. 1.1 is higher than I normally hear, but is still below castrate level. Where were you in your cycle of hormone therapy injections when it was measured, and what hormone therapy drug are you on?

User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 00:58
Your testosterone is slightly higher than it should be, which might be why your PSA is rising. The onco might have been concerned in case the cancer was becoming hormone resistant; the fact that you still have a little testosterone floating around is less worrying. If you are quite near the end of the planned HT (I think you said it was planned as an 18 month course?) the onco might not do anything - alternatively, s/he might suggest adding an extra hormone to get you down to 0.69 or below.

Alternatively, if you have had your last hormone injection, the onco might just have wanted a baseline measurement to see how quickly your body recovers and starts making testosterone again.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 19:35

Hi Andy

The reading was taken the day before my next 3 monthly ADT injection, could the level go down a little do you think a few days after the injection?

User
Posted 08 Nov 2021 at 19:41

Thanks Lyn, I've just had a further injection and due another in 3 months, which is scheduled to be the last.

I'm on Prostap incidentally. Onco did say before the testosterone test that I may need a boost but after the result said nothing needed to change at this stage. I just had no clue about testosterone readings. PSA was 0.19