I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Four months post LDR brachytherapy

User
Posted 12 Nov 2021 at 20:38

So I had 66 brachytherapy seeds implanted mid July, all went well and painless procedure. I understood peak symptoms of seed activity would be evident at around 6-8 weeks, with prostate obviously swelling and restricting urethra- which it has. In early October I went back to brachytherapy nurse (who is fabulous) as I was really struggling to wee particularly at night, despite taking tamsulosin. Did a flow test which was poor and I only voided around a quarter of my bladder. I was having to take a shower before bed to relax everything so I could pee at all, and during the night it was extremely painful and very difficult to pass urine at all. I was about to drive to Spain for a long overdue holiday, and wanted some relief before I went. I was surprised and somewhat dismayed to be taught to self catheterise, which I have been doing three times a day for the last 5 weeks. So I urinate, then insert catheter to drain the rest of my bladder, I usually manage to void about a third myself and two thirds by catheter but this is improving very gradually. Has anyone else had to do this and did it eventually improve? I’m really looking for some assurance that this will get better, am I expecting too much at 4 months? I am much more comfortable and can wee in between catheter sessions…but wasn’t expecting this! I’ve been told I ‘could’ take Tamsulosin twice a day but this isn’t licensed in the U.K. and could lower my blood pressure, has anyone any experience of this?

User
Posted 12 Nov 2021 at 22:29

Hi Damon

Compared to an indwelling catheter I thought CISC was excellent. See my post near the bottom of this thread.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22995-Escaping-the-Catheter

I think your situation will improve as the seeds do their job, so wouldn't worry too much. As regards double dosing on tamsulosin, how high is your blood pressure anyway? Most of us in the 50s 60s could do with it bringing down a bit. I would buy a blood pressure monitor probably about £30 and see what it is and monitor it on increased tamsulosin. Not that I'm qualified to give medical advice, but if someone who is qualified advices it, then I think trying it and monitoring it is a good idea.

Dave

User
Posted 13 Nov 2021 at 19:06
Not quite the same situation but I self catherterised for a while but at the beginning of things as my flow of was being restricted by the diseased prostate and as my treatment was RT which apparently restricts things further, I had a TURP to cut away part of prostate. Once that happened the self catheterization and Tamsulosin stopped. I say this only to suggest that the oncologist must be pretty confident things will be fine given a bit of time as I understand they are pretty careful to ensure retention doesn't happen.
Peter
User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 12:23

Hi,

I am not sure if i will be of much help but i had Brachytherpy in 2016 but did not need a catheter at any time and was prescribed  Tamulosen but was not told it would reduce my blood pressure, i was on 10mg Amlodipine for high blood pressure. I found the Tamulosen good as it relaxed my lower half and i continued taking it for six months and only stopped taking it because i felt it wasn't needed any more and the doctor said just carry some in case they are needed .

I think you will improve in the near future once the prostate has rested a bit more. If you click on my Avatar you can see my journey so far.

Regards John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Nov 2021 at 22:29

Hi Damon

Compared to an indwelling catheter I thought CISC was excellent. See my post near the bottom of this thread.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22995-Escaping-the-Catheter

I think your situation will improve as the seeds do their job, so wouldn't worry too much. As regards double dosing on tamsulosin, how high is your blood pressure anyway? Most of us in the 50s 60s could do with it bringing down a bit. I would buy a blood pressure monitor probably about £30 and see what it is and monitor it on increased tamsulosin. Not that I'm qualified to give medical advice, but if someone who is qualified advices it, then I think trying it and monitoring it is a good idea.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Nov 2021 at 22:48
Hi Dave - yes CISC is exactly what I’m doing and it is perfectly bearable. I am actually on tablets for blood pressure so might dispense with one (of the two I take each morning) and try a morning and evening dose of Tamsulosin…I have a BP monitor so can at least keep an eye on things!
User
Posted 13 Nov 2021 at 19:06
Not quite the same situation but I self catherterised for a while but at the beginning of things as my flow of was being restricted by the diseased prostate and as my treatment was RT which apparently restricts things further, I had a TURP to cut away part of prostate. Once that happened the self catheterization and Tamsulosin stopped. I say this only to suggest that the oncologist must be pretty confident things will be fine given a bit of time as I understand they are pretty careful to ensure retention doesn't happen.
Peter
User
Posted 15 Nov 2021 at 19:55
Thanks Peter - I’m wondering if a TURP may be required if this doesn’t improve but not sure if this can be done with 66 seeds in my prostate…
User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 12:23

Hi,

I am not sure if i will be of much help but i had Brachytherpy in 2016 but did not need a catheter at any time and was prescribed  Tamulosen but was not told it would reduce my blood pressure, i was on 10mg Amlodipine for high blood pressure. I found the Tamulosen good as it relaxed my lower half and i continued taking it for six months and only stopped taking it because i felt it wasn't needed any more and the doctor said just carry some in case they are needed .

I think you will improve in the near future once the prostate has rested a bit more. If you click on my Avatar you can see my journey so far.

Regards John.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 16:28
Hi DamonC - Did they do any flow tests prior to Brachy? I had about 3 and they said I couldn't have Brachy with my current flow rate so in March I had a mini-TURP after which I was peeing like a teenager! In May I had the Brachy where 92 seeds were implanted.

I generally get up once during the night, about 4 am, and have a weak flow but I empty enough to get me through to the morning. I have to go for a pee straight away but at this point my flow is strong again. I am taking one Tamulosin every other day.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 20:36

Hi vc101103 - yes I had a flow test and an ‘internal ultrasound’ (probe up my back passage to check prostate size) and whilst my flow wasn’t brilliant they couldn’t see any obstruction to necessitate a TURP. I’m a couple of months behind you so hoping I’m just being impatient and things will improve. I have actually had a couple of nights without interruption which is fabulous but usually have one or two trips to the loo in the night - despite emptying my bladder with a catheter before I go to bed. The pees I take in between the catheter use three times a day are better but still sore, and I can’t hold on for too long, if i do it’s very painful to pee again. Just seems to be taking a lot longer for things to settle than I anticipated….but I am seeing gradual improvements in the urine quantities I’m voiding. Good news is that my PSA (originally at a modest 3.95 that sent me to Urology) was 0.13 when tested at the beginning of October.