I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

29 months post op.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2021 at 10:15

It's been 29 months since my robotic surgery. Psa of 3.7, T2c tumour gleeson of 6. Post 6 week op histology was gleeson of 7 and confined to the prostate with no spread. Psa was undetectable for 6 months and then further test were stable at 0.1 for 2 years. The latest psa has risen to 0.2. So obviously I'm a bit concerned 😟. Anyone out there that shares the same story??

Hopefully that you have beaten it and you can look forward for a full life. 😉 

User
Posted 14 Nov 2021 at 14:36

Not me personally, but I have seen many posts like this on this site. General opinion is that a long period of very low PSA followed by a slow rise, is that a few cells were left behind in the prostate bed.

If immediate post op your PSA had been over about 0.2 and rising rapidly it would have implied another tumour elsewhere.

In your position, the surgeon will probably say do nothing and see if it goes down, but this is wishful thinking. I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt and have another test in three months, but I very much doubt it will go down.

Next thing is start pushing for scans to see if it is just a few cells in the prostate bed, and hopefully blast them with radiotherapy. If the cells are further a field, you are in for the long haul.

Dave

User
Posted 14 Nov 2021 at 17:23
You now have a biochemical recurrence. Your urologist should refer you to oncology without faffing about with any 'let's test again in 3 months' palaver and if s/he does not suggest referral, tell them that is what you want. All the research shows that the lower your PSA is when salvage RT is started, the better the outcome.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Nov 2021 at 17:24
PS recurrence happens to about 30% of men who had prostatectomy so you are not in a unique situation
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Nov 2021 at 18:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hopefully that you have beaten it and you can look forward for a full life. 😉 

I haven't beaten it yet but still here still moaning. My PSA and histology were worse than yours. As advised move onto an oncologist. 

I have listed my PSA results near the start of my profile.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Nov 2021 at 18:56

I had recurrence 14 months after prostatectomy but PSA rise was quicker. See my profile for more. As Lyn has said you should now be seeing an oncologist. Best wishes.

Ido4

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 08:57
Hi all, thanks for the help and comments. We can't help but worry can we. Staying positive helps after all more people are surviving now and live to an old age.

By the way the rest of my results were N0 Mx.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 07:01

Had my appointment yesterday and my consultant has referred me to oncology for salvage therapy. He explained with the gleeson score, histology and my current psaof 0.2 that there is nothing serious to worry about and the therapy should destroy any cells and bring my psa back to undetectable. So feeling quite positive but also anxious.