I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sick with worry

User
Posted 15 Nov 2021 at 13:52

In October I saw the GP about frequent urination.  He did a DRE and found a nodule.  Blood & Urine tests were okay PSA 1.1 but he found a urine infection and prescribed Nitrofurantoin for a week.  I saw the Consultant who did a DRE and took a swab.  I had an MRI, Flow Rate test and throat and abdomen scans.  I'm worried sick about this.  Why would they want to scan the abdomen?  Has anybody had a similar experience? 

Edited by member 11 Jan 2022 at 12:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 13:33

Hi Sam,

It took me around a week or so far blood to clear up, a few weeks for others on this site so it varies with the individual. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 13:49
The more you ejaculate the more rapidly the blood will go. It's only a concern if it's fresh red blood. Dead blood cells the colour of brown sauce is entirely normal. It can take a few months to entirely disappear.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 27 Dec 2021 at 08:54

Hi Sam,
No reason to be embarrassed.
As for PSA testing, simply ask your GP for a PSA test, perhaps every year. The rate of change of PSA is actually a much more useful indicator than having one value.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2021 at 09:01

Hi Sam,

No need to be embarrassed, it's the best result anyone could wish for, and one I would have taken all day long. 

Best wishes. 

Kev.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2021 at 16:56

Great result. I'm pleased with the BBC article raising awareness. Screening is an emotive issue, I'm sure we all agree that more accurate testing is welcome. The more members of the house of lords who are aware of this the better.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jan 2022 at 12:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The more you ejaculate the more rapidly the blood will go. It's only a concern if it's fresh red blood. Dead blood cells the colour of brown sauce is entirely normal. It can take a few months to entirely disappear.

Best wishes,

Chris

This was not my experience: I shot ketchup for several weeks after a 27-needle template. Totally normal: ketchup v brown sauce no cause for panic. Biopsy is non-trivial (and must spread cells: with hindsight I would have removed them from my "journey" and relied on MRIs.)

User
Posted 04 Jan 2022 at 12:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

This was not my experience: I shot ketchup for several weeks after a 27-needle template. Totally normal: ketchup v brown sauce no cause for panic. Biopsy is non-trivial (and must spread cells: with hindsight I would have removed them from my "journey" and relied on MRIs.)

There is absolutely no evidence of TRUS biopsy spreading cancer cells (needle tracking). There are a small number of cases in the USA of alleged needle tracking as a result of template biopsy but these are uncorroborated and the US is rather more litigious than the UK so the claims may be financially motivated.

You cannot get a prostate cancer diagnosis without a biopsy except in extreme circumstances - where the man has such extensive bone mets that a biopsy is an unnecessary risk. MRIs alone can be wrong. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 12:40

Yes: that’s why I say with hindsight. It’s not so much tracking as CTCs: the track environment is not one PCa favours. I remember a paper which correlated metastasis to CTCs. It observed a spike following biopsy but the risk of mets correlated to background levels of CTC. I’ll try and dig it out: Korea I think. Trouble is there are no controls, as you say.