I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Has anyone had RARP at Christies or the NW?

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 12:37

Looking for first hand experience of people who've had RARP at Christies or in the NW? Feel free to DM!

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 18:43
Christies is a centre of excellence; they are involved in most if not all current trials and PCUK fund some of the team there.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 19:17

I had brachy and EBRT at Christie and on going support with HT. So though I can't comment on RARP. I can say I was pleased with the care at Christie's and I guess if cancer care is a postcode lottery, then falling into Christie's catchment area probably means you won the lottery.

I am always a bit cautious of posts praising ones treatment, I have seen some very positive threads on this site which have then gone negative and ended with the demise of the poster. 

So comments like Mr X or Mr Y is excellent, or the machines at hospital Z are excellent carry little weight. You only know your cancer is cured when you die from something else.

Also just because someone is treated by X,Y or Z and then dies doesn't mean X,Y and Z are no good. It just means the patient had bad luck.

I can say the food was nice at the Christie, and the staff are nice. And the machines that zap you are shiny and new.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 18:43
Christies is a centre of excellence; they are involved in most if not all current trials and PCUK fund some of the team there.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 19:17

I had brachy and EBRT at Christie and on going support with HT. So though I can't comment on RARP. I can say I was pleased with the care at Christie's and I guess if cancer care is a postcode lottery, then falling into Christie's catchment area probably means you won the lottery.

I am always a bit cautious of posts praising ones treatment, I have seen some very positive threads on this site which have then gone negative and ended with the demise of the poster. 

So comments like Mr X or Mr Y is excellent, or the machines at hospital Z are excellent carry little weight. You only know your cancer is cured when you die from something else.

Also just because someone is treated by X,Y or Z and then dies doesn't mean X,Y and Z are no good. It just means the patient had bad luck.

I can say the food was nice at the Christie, and the staff are nice. And the machines that zap you are shiny and new.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 19:59

I had some follow up treatment there and fully agree with Dave's comments.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Nov 2021 at 09:53

Thanks everyone. Was just looking for some reassurance. We’ve been in mental turmoil since diagnosis not knowing what treatment to have and where to get it. There seems to be a lot of focus on the higher volume surgeons in London on this board which hasn’t really helped us. It’s ok saying go with Prof X but if you don’t live in London and haven’t got £22k then it feels like you aren’t getting the best treatment. I know this is stupid. Just not been thinking clearly recently. All the research is tying me in knots and don’t know what to do for the best. It’s good to hear of people’s first hand experience of Christie’s though and thanks also for putting things in perspective.