Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 1.27 at 36 years old

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 20:05

Hi,

After a routine health check from Medichecks I found out my PSA levels was 1.27. I took the results to my Dr who told me the score is slightly elevated for my age and I shouldn’t be concerned. Ive done a lot of reading online and It has left me extremely anxious also for the past few weeks I have a constant feeling the only way I can describe it is like I’m holding in a pee. Im worried what the elevated score could mean and also what to do about it

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 22:07

Prostate cancer is possible in younger men but its rare. I think your Doc is about right. If you are concerned then arrange another test in 6 months. 

And don't worry. Online research is like your mum who would put two symptoms into the Readers Digest Book of Health and tell you that you had Altzeimers, and you were only 12 years old.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 22:59

Prostate cancer is uncommon in men under 50. We have a handful of members on the site who were diagnosed under 50, being diagnosed under 40 is very rare, part of the reason is that no doctor is likely to look for symptoms of prostate cancer in one so young. 

From a statistics point of view I would say the chance of someone your age having prostate cancer is 1 in 30,000. So it is unlikely but not impossible. 

Did you refrain from ejaculating for a day or two before the PSA test? And refrain from cycling? I don't know anything about your lifestyle, but I wouldn't have thought about these two issues before a medical. So you can probably subtract 0.2 from that PSA result, which probably brings you back to normal.

Did the feeling of holding in a pee start before or after getting the PSA result? If after it is almost certainly anxiety. If the feeling started before then it could be a UTI , but if it is it seems really mild and will probably clear up on its own.

As musicman says another PSA test in six months is a good idea. This time no sex or cycling for three days before.

If there is a family history of cancer, maybe have a PSA test once a year, if no family history of cancer and the next PSA test is normal, forget about having another PSA test unless you have symptoms or get to about 50.

I reckon if I typed my symptoms in to Google, after a day of shopping. I would have over 20 diseases, three of which were as yet unknown to medical science.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Nov 2021 at 18:42

We have had men on here with PSA of 80 - 100 who subsequently got the all clear. PSA is just a flag that further assessment is needed - not an indicator of cancer

Re the difference between what your GP says and what you have read - apples and pears. The average PSA range for a man age 30 - 39 is 0.7 to 1.6. The threshold for referral to NHS urology services is 2.5

Edited by member 20 Nov 2021 at 18:54  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 22:57

Try not to worry too much mate as your PSA is only slightly raised. I would check again in a few months and any movement then insist your GP refers you. Alot of people go on about younger men don't get prostate cancer or it's very rare etc but I had no symptoms and was diagnosed in March this year with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer Gleason 9 PSA 35 and another lad here has just been diagnosed at 34. That's not to try and worry you just facts and I wish I'd done mine earlier. Best of luck

Edited by member 22 Nov 2021 at 22:58  | Reason: Not specified

"38 year old diagnosed in March 2021 with stage 4 metastatic PC. My story so far is on my profile"

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 23:57

The Prostate tends to grow with increasing age, more so in some men than others. With a larger Prostate a higher PSA is likely, so has to be taken into consideration where applicable.

Edited by member 28 Nov 2021 at 19:06  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 22:07

Prostate cancer is possible in younger men but its rare. I think your Doc is about right. If you are concerned then arrange another test in 6 months. 

And don't worry. Online research is like your mum who would put two symptoms into the Readers Digest Book of Health and tell you that you had Altzeimers, and you were only 12 years old.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 22:59

Prostate cancer is uncommon in men under 50. We have a handful of members on the site who were diagnosed under 50, being diagnosed under 40 is very rare, part of the reason is that no doctor is likely to look for symptoms of prostate cancer in one so young. 

From a statistics point of view I would say the chance of someone your age having prostate cancer is 1 in 30,000. So it is unlikely but not impossible. 

Did you refrain from ejaculating for a day or two before the PSA test? And refrain from cycling? I don't know anything about your lifestyle, but I wouldn't have thought about these two issues before a medical. So you can probably subtract 0.2 from that PSA result, which probably brings you back to normal.

Did the feeling of holding in a pee start before or after getting the PSA result? If after it is almost certainly anxiety. If the feeling started before then it could be a UTI , but if it is it seems really mild and will probably clear up on its own.

As musicman says another PSA test in six months is a good idea. This time no sex or cycling for three days before.

If there is a family history of cancer, maybe have a PSA test once a year, if no family history of cancer and the next PSA test is normal, forget about having another PSA test unless you have symptoms or get to about 50.

I reckon if I typed my symptoms in to Google, after a day of shopping. I would have over 20 diseases, three of which were as yet unknown to medical science.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Nov 2021 at 15:07

Dave,

thank you for your reply, Im generally healthy, eat well and exercise regularly I enjoy a few beers at the weekend but nothing to heavy, I did refrain from ejaculating for 2 days before my test so when I came back elevated I was shocked. After trying to find out more about PSA and what it means online my anxiety has been through the roof and I seem to be going round in circles the questions I have are

- Is it possible to have a PSA higher then average for your age and be fine I.e no UTI, no prostitis etc

- How common are elevated PSA scores without follow up

- Does having a higher PSA at 36 years old mean cancer in the future.

My Dr has said that as long as it’s bellow 2.5ug/L she is not concerned but after reading my PSA should be around 0.6/0.7 I can’t help but worry 

User
Posted 20 Nov 2021 at 18:42

We have had men on here with PSA of 80 - 100 who subsequently got the all clear. PSA is just a flag that further assessment is needed - not an indicator of cancer

Re the difference between what your GP says and what you have read - apples and pears. The average PSA range for a man age 30 - 39 is 0.7 to 1.6. The threshold for referral to NHS urology services is 2.5

Edited by member 20 Nov 2021 at 18:54  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Nov 2021 at 23:32

Hi Russ, I can't add anything to what Lyn has said. Basically your PSA is not excessive. Definitely no increased risk of cancer in later life.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 22:57

Try not to worry too much mate as your PSA is only slightly raised. I would check again in a few months and any movement then insist your GP refers you. Alot of people go on about younger men don't get prostate cancer or it's very rare etc but I had no symptoms and was diagnosed in March this year with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer Gleason 9 PSA 35 and another lad here has just been diagnosed at 34. That's not to try and worry you just facts and I wish I'd done mine earlier. Best of luck

Edited by member 22 Nov 2021 at 22:58  | Reason: Not specified

"38 year old diagnosed in March 2021 with stage 4 metastatic PC. My story so far is on my profile"

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 23:57

The Prostate tends to grow with increasing age, more so in some men than others. With a larger Prostate a higher PSA is likely, so has to be taken into consideration where applicable.

Edited by member 28 Nov 2021 at 19:06  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 25 Nov 2021 at 13:56

Hi everyone thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I had a Drs appointment today and a DRE was performed, Dr said prostate felt small and smooth. I told her my concerns about having a slightly elevated PSA and she assured me the range was 0 - 1.4 and I shouldn’t be concerned with the slight elevation. She said everyone was different and with no urinary symptoms I should not worry and if anything changes I should go back and see her. 

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 16:27

Hi Lyn, 

I hope you don’t mind me asking you a few questions. 

since seeing my Dr last I have become aware of a few things that I’m concerned I might have overlooked as I was unaware of the possible links to PC.

I’ve found that my seaman volume seems to be lower then usual, I also have had some nagging lower back pain over the past few weeks.

my main question is it possible to have advanced PC with a PSA of 1.27? My anxiety is through the roof. 
I know the average PSA for my age is 0.7 but how common is a score of >1. My Dr said everyone is different but I’ve read so much I’m really confused.

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 17:19
If you read up enough online you will find that you have symptoms of every disease under the sun. The urologist is an expert in their field with many years' training & experience - if they thought it was significant they would have asked you about semen production.

It is possible to have prostate cancer with a low PSA but the type of prostate cancer that doesn't cause PSA rises is extremely rare, the risk of having advanced PCa with a low PSA is even more rare and the risk of having PCa in your 30s is also extremely rare so you are triple unlikely to have prostate cancer.

Reduced semen production and nagging back pain can both be symptoms of infection / inflammation in the prostate.

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 19:23

Thank you Lyn, I appreciate you taking the time out to answer my questions. I haven’t seen a urologist only my GP who carried out a DRE and told me I shouldn’t worry about my PSA as it was within the 0-1.4 range. 

My anxiety has taken over me this week. Since finding out my PSA is elevated it’s consumed me a bit, it almost feels like it’s only a matter of time before it gets higher.  

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 19:30
Do you have general issues with anxiety?

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 21:40

Not particularly but for some reason this has really made me anxious perhaps it’s because there is no definitive answer