I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HIFU success

User
Posted 30 Nov 2021 at 15:41

I had partial ablation HIFU in 2015 and the lowest my PSA has been was 1.79, it has slowly risen and in the last year it has jump by 33% to just over 8. Just had a MRI with nothing apparent showing although I do have a metal hip implant on the non treated side. Will have a biopsy next week but I wondered if anyone else has been on this journey and what was their experience. Also what else could cause this ongoing rise?

Thanks

User
Posted 30 Nov 2021 at 15:57

Hi Janesy,

I can't help I'm afraid.   I'm impressed if that is the only treatment you had and it was 6 years ago.   It seems a brave decision to have only HIFU in my opinion although I will admit to being someone who prefers full butchery.

There is only Old Barry who writes much about HIFU and I think he had it as secondary treatment.  If you did a search on his name you might find something.  His profile is long.

All the best, Peter

Edited by member 30 Nov 2021 at 15:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Nov 2021 at 17:05
Assume they are doing a biopsy because the most likely explanation for the sudden rise in PSA is that you have prostate cancer - either a recurrence of the one that was treated in 2015 or a new one. Sometimes the scan doesn't pick up the cancer. Seemsikely that they could see on the scan that your prostate hasn't become significantly larger recently, not enough to explain the rise, anyway?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Dec 2021 at 03:15
Although the HIFU procedure is the same, mine was as a salvage treatment for failed RT whereas in your case I believe it was as a primary treatment. This does make a considerable difference because your ultrasound was directed through virgin Prostate, whereas mine had to go through the scar tissue and mess caused by the earlier RT. Also with increasing age there is likely to be more calcification.

However, like you, I had my HIFU in 2015 but my PSA has been rising very slowly but persistently since. An MRI showed I had a small tumour about the size of a grain of rice and the surgeon who did the TP Biopsy said he would do well to hit it, although in the event he did. Interestingly, although my Gleason was still 7, it has gone from 3+4 to 4+3, so the percentage of higher graded cells are now the majority, at least in the core found. In January of this year my HIFU surgeon agreed to do a repeat HIFU. Another date for this (14th December) was only given to me yesterday after I had complained about various oversights and two previous cancellations that had caused the delay - a story in itself! I will try to establish whether the small tumour is in the same place and the previous HIFU was ineffectual. Is is possible that I could have a Prostatectomy with almost 100% risk of permanent incontinence as it was put to me but I believe this repeat HIFU will otherwise be my last chance of a Prostate confined treatment. I have already refused HT but accept this may be required if this second HIFU is unsuccessful.

In your case it is possible that the HIFU did not completely eradicate your tumour and it is regrowing, one that was previously regarded as insignificant has become significant, or a completely new tumour is forming. You would not have been offered HIFU if it was thought you had PCa cells outside the Prostate but this could be the case now, although it is unlikely. It's best if you wait until the result of the biopsy is given to you and what you are offered. We would like to share this information when available.

Barry
User
Posted 01 Dec 2021 at 09:15
Thanks everyone, I'll report back. Good luck Barry, I hope all goes well and they fulfil the appointment on 14th.
User
Posted 01 Dec 2021 at 09:21
Sorry I forgot to mention. I agreed to go on a trial for HIFU versus removal, once you have agreed to go on the trial then their program decides which treatment you get. Mine was HIFU!
User
Posted 01 Dec 2021 at 11:07
So a trail blazer then - well done on volunteering! I hope that after the biopsy, they conclude that you are able to have HIFU again.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 14:30

Hi, well I've had a scan and a biopsy. The scan is clear apart from scarring from original HIFU to left hand side. Biopsy shows 4 small grade one cancer spots and my PSA is now 8.54. Seems that the cancer is still contained in the prostate and we're going to continue with PSA at 3 monthly intervals. If it gets above 10 then I will have a PET PSMA scan and depending on the outcome probably onto radiotherapy. So I'm assured that we're still on the case as long as I don't bankrupt the NHS in the meantime!

Good luck to all.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2022 at 00:33
As happens in so many cases, it's monitor for changes as cancer cells can develop in different ways and although you don't want to rush into treatment that is unnecessary, you want to catch it if it looks like this is advisable. As you say, as 4 spots have been found, if these develop you may need more radical treatment, either the RT you mention or a Prostatectomy. If radical treatment is required, a PSMA scan may help indicate whether the cancer is confined to the Prostate or can be seen to have established elsewhere.
Barry