I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic Surgery - which ralp surgeon?

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 12:23

Looking for advice to choose a Robotic key hole surgeon, private or NHS.

Have a newly diagnosed family member who needs surgery fast.

The research narrowed down a few names and it would be great to hear about their outcomes from real people. Or about your experiences and recommends..  

I understand not possible to name here - please dm me if that’s something you can help with. 

BW
Kat

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 19:45
No one needs radical prostatectomy fast - there is always sufficient time to meet a couple of different surgeons, meet an oncogist to discuss alternatives to surgery, etc. If someone needed RP asap, they wouldn't be suitable for that treatment option anyway.

Presumably you have met the first urologist, been given the scores, MDT recommendations, etc and just for some reason don't want to go ahead with that urologist? If so, it would be useful to know why your relative wants to find an alternative. Things like how old your relative is, whether nerve sparing is a possibility, any other medical issues all have an impact on how to choose a surgeon. Also, can you pay ?

Not a good idea to be getting recommendations of individual urologists via DM - for every couple of members who recommend a specific surgeon there will be another man who had poor outcomes or felt let down afterwards.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 19:03

Take a look here, plenty of info.

https://www.baus.org.uk/patients/surgical_outcomes/radical_prostatectomy/

Although I've had the procedure, outcomes can be different depending on the patient.

I think you get a good idea of the qualities you are looking for in your surgeon during the initial consultation.

How thorough are they, do they want further tests, will they admit that they would abandon the procedure if they felt it was not safe to proceed, in other words do you think they are honest with you.

Edited by member 18 Dec 2021 at 19:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 22:16
Hi Kat

First off, try not to panic. There are LOTS of great high volume surgeons throughout the UK. Here is a list of some of them...

https://prostatematters.co.uk/prostate-cancer/where-to-access-robotic-prostatectomy/

With a radical prostatectomy, there will be many surgeons who will be up to the job. I know it's hard not to look for THE top dog in the field, but the fact is, there are many experienced surgeons out there.

I guess factors that might be worth considering are geographic location, how far are you willing to travel, after care and ongoing monitoring, where the tumour is and what the staging is, your budget...

Considering all these factors, you should be able to find a great surgeon to meet your needs.

I know I felt exactly the same when my husband was diagnosed and panicked about finding the best surgeon to do the op as quickly as possible. But after doing a lot of research we made a decision (my OH had RARP in the North West on the NHS) and had the operation 10 days ago.

It's a very difficult decision to make and you have my complete empathy. If you need further help, feel free to DM me, although I think you may need to post on the board 10 times before you can reply to messages.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 14:21
It would be handy to know where in the UK you are.
User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 19:03

Take a look here, plenty of info.

https://www.baus.org.uk/patients/surgical_outcomes/radical_prostatectomy/

Although I've had the procedure, outcomes can be different depending on the patient.

I think you get a good idea of the qualities you are looking for in your surgeon during the initial consultation.

How thorough are they, do they want further tests, will they admit that they would abandon the procedure if they felt it was not safe to proceed, in other words do you think they are honest with you.

Edited by member 18 Dec 2021 at 19:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 19:45
No one needs radical prostatectomy fast - there is always sufficient time to meet a couple of different surgeons, meet an oncogist to discuss alternatives to surgery, etc. If someone needed RP asap, they wouldn't be suitable for that treatment option anyway.

Presumably you have met the first urologist, been given the scores, MDT recommendations, etc and just for some reason don't want to go ahead with that urologist? If so, it would be useful to know why your relative wants to find an alternative. Things like how old your relative is, whether nerve sparing is a possibility, any other medical issues all have an impact on how to choose a surgeon. Also, can you pay ?

Not a good idea to be getting recommendations of individual urologists via DM - for every couple of members who recommend a specific surgeon there will be another man who had poor outcomes or felt let down afterwards.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 20:03

Totally agree, every patient is different.

I could say that I was happy with my surgeon, but it does not follow that he/she is the best surgeon for you.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 22:16
Hi Kat

First off, try not to panic. There are LOTS of great high volume surgeons throughout the UK. Here is a list of some of them...

https://prostatematters.co.uk/prostate-cancer/where-to-access-robotic-prostatectomy/

With a radical prostatectomy, there will be many surgeons who will be up to the job. I know it's hard not to look for THE top dog in the field, but the fact is, there are many experienced surgeons out there.

I guess factors that might be worth considering are geographic location, how far are you willing to travel, after care and ongoing monitoring, where the tumour is and what the staging is, your budget...

Considering all these factors, you should be able to find a great surgeon to meet your needs.

I know I felt exactly the same when my husband was diagnosed and panicked about finding the best surgeon to do the op as quickly as possible. But after doing a lot of research we made a decision (my OH had RARP in the North West on the NHS) and had the operation 10 days ago.

It's a very difficult decision to make and you have my complete empathy. If you need further help, feel free to DM me, although I think you may need to post on the board 10 times before you can reply to messages.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 00:26

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It would be handy to know where in the UK you are.

Hi he is in Devon but lots of family in london, both is nice looking at london primarily

kat

User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 00:45

Yes true so many doctors on the list but just so hard to know who to turn to.. who is high volume and takes on most complex cases.. his case is rare only 5% of cases with such parameters… understanding everyone’s case is different.. I am panicking - receiving info here helps to process and understand the picture, perspective. More info = less panic, so very grateful  to all who replied so far!

And reading about real experiences from real people also helps him to process and prepare for what to expect - so so useful. 

will give filling in bio a go

kat

User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 01:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

very true - would be also good to hear from people who unfortunately felt let down - about their personal circumstances to be aware of or mindful about something we may not be considering yet.. 

RARP is relatively new approach it is understandable to want to know who has most experience when the case is so complex… 

will fill in bio! Nerve sparing likely partial. He is young - 46. Yes other med issues - heart. Insurance unfortunately cant help - will have to pay if not assigned experienced consultant by nhs.

The urologist who gave initial diagnosis does not do rarp.  The rarp surgeon we consulted has higher key hole ops volume than rarp - but need to check. And it’s just nice to speak to other consultants, plus patient/doctor trust is also important, although with gl 9 need to op quick. 

kat

User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 08:14

Katya. Exeter have 2 excellent surgeons.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 12:02

"RARP is relatively new approach it is understandable to want to know who has most experience when the case is so complex…

will fill in bio! Nerve sparing likely partial. He is young - 46. Yes other med issues - heart. Insurance unfortunately cant help - will have to pay if not assigned experienced consultant by nhs."

RALP isn't new at all and it seems that the most complex issue in your case is going to be the heart problem. Be aware that keyhole / robotic surgery may be ruled out for this reason - it requires the patient to be tipped head down for many hours which puts the heart under enormous strain.

Why are you so fixated on robotic rather than keyhole anyway? If it is in the belief that the outcomes are better, that's not the case yet.

Edited by member 22 Dec 2021 at 12:03  | Reason: Not specified