I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Troubling Constipation still 5 months after Op.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2021 at 15:05

I had an enlarged prostate trim 5 months ago, and got a Gleason 3+4 cancer diagnosis from flesh they removed. It  improved my flow and emptying my bladder but has left me with ongoing, intermittent constipation ever since, which I don't usually suffer from. I'm hoping to have an MRI soon to check for any further prostate cancer. 

It certainly feels it's linked to the op in some way so I'm interested in whether it could be damage to the nerve messaging during the op, the emotional tension i certainly feel about the cancer diagnosis, or something else?  Nobody has acknowledged that it could be anything to do with the op, other than immediately after the op.

Any thoughts welcome

User
Posted 19 Dec 2021 at 21:17
Hello Bobby,

I am still having constant bowel problems following my RALP End of march 2021

IBS type of symptoms Bowel habits more frequent now , lots of gurgling noises discomfort and wind and has been the same

for past nearly 9 months now, it could be stress related because of dealing with PC diagnosis treatment etc .

I have had a CT scan and xray blood and stool tests all clear, IBS can only be diagnosed through everything else being ruled out

My CNS Not sure what is . I did some Dr google and came across a medical paper posted by some doctors from dept of urology in Iran had

made a link with pelvic surgery and IBS being triggered , The prostate gland is very close to the bowel/rectum so surgical intervention

can effect the way bowel works. Journal of research in medical sciences is the website and the Research paper is titled Change in functional bowel symptoms after prostatectomy: a case control study. Interesting ready. Best Wishes Van

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 17:54

Thanks Van,

Interesting the lengths you had to go to, to find a paper that addresses this. I've just looked it up and it's interesting that it does suggest connections with disturbed bowel movements.  

As a medical scientific journal they would be looking for a physical/medical causation which is what they came up with, which is helpful.

However I'm also interested in the emotional affect of these traumatic changes that come with some of these operations too that seem to get completely by-passed by the medics. It;s outside of their training !