I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How it feels first couple of weeks after robatic prostatectomy?

User
Posted 21 Dec 2021 at 00:10

I am 45, 3 weeks ago diagnosed with adenocarcinoma T2/T3 N0 M0, grade 5,gleason 9.

I don't know nothing about the life after prostate operation. How long would it take to return to work,... etc  

Regards,

Daniel 

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 19:12

Hello Daniel, I am 59 (regarded as young in this field) but I am athletic and in very good health. I am 2 weeks post surgery and it is all looking good. I am self employed and returned to work today. My work is not physical - tutoring and computer based. I live in Scotland and had the surgery in Aberdeen.

I waited 2 years on active surveillance but then decided to go for surgery when my PSA jumped from 10 to 14.

My erections are good - I am fortunate in that the cancer was contained within the prostate and the surgeon was able to spare erectile nerves on both sides. I had a Laparoscopic Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatecomy resulting in five small 1 inch scars on my belly and a larger 4 inch one on my side.

The pain of muscle damage has almost totally gone. I can ride a bike and walk comfortably.

I have some small leaks of urine and wear pads but it is reducing daily. I practice pelvic floor exercises daily.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2021 at 10:23
It depends on which kind of operation you are having and what kind of job you do but the general expectation is that you would need 6 weeks off work if you have keyhole surgery and more if you have open surgery (a big wound across your stomach). If your job is behind a desk you can get back to it fairly quickly but if your job involves heavy lifting etc you will need up to 12 weeks off. My husband had a desk job but drove a company car and the insurers wouldn't cover him for 12 weeks so although he could have gone back to work at 10 weeks, he couldn't actually get there - one benefit of Covid is that businesses are much better equipped these days for working from home but the downside of that is being put under pressure to work from home when you should really still be on the sick.

Getting back to the gym, cycling, running, all that kind of thing - if you are a keen cyclist, your surgeon might say you can cycle quite soon after the op but some surgeons advise not to do it for at least 6 months. Getting back in the gym and running - depends on whether you are incontinent and can manage to do physical activities with a pad on.

But there are so many questions for us to ask you before that - have you been told that a multi-disciplinary team has decided surgery is the best or only option? Have you seen an oncologist to talk about other treatments such as radiotherapy or brachytherapy? Have you completed your family or do you need to speak to someone about sperm freezing? Have the risks of the operation been explained to you?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 17:49

A lot of it is the worry and stress you put on yourself. It was the first thing I thought of in the morning and the last thing at night. 

Hopefully your experience will be like mine 🤞

Worst thing about it all for me was the catheter. It’s not painful in anyway, it’s just a pain in the arse having it in! 

User
Posted 19 May 2022 at 00:06
Anecdotally, the men on here who subsequently get hernias tend to be those who overdid things in the first 2-3 months post-op. The wounds on the outside may be small but the damage on the inside is just as significant as if you had open surgery so .

John had open RP in the January. He could possibly have been back at work at 10 weeks but his company car insurance wouldn't cover him until 12 weeks. The surgeon asked him to stay off his bike for 6 months to give the nerve bundles a chance to heal. He was playing rugby again at the start of the next season (September) and climbed Kilimanjaro 13 months post-op

One of the difficulties for some men in returning to work is not the discomfort or wounds or anything like that - it is the really practical stuff like managing continence pads in a workplace toilet - the disposal bins are usually in the ladies' toilets, not the men's, or having to wear dark trousers all the time just in case, or needing a different office chair due to still having backache from the epidural. Not everyone by any means, but these are the sort of impediments that are hard to anticipate.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 16:12

Hello Makem,

Hope you’re good mate. 

I had my prostate op two weeks ago this very day and I am back on site today. I feel great. There are no major issues for me, few aches and soreness where the op took place. The water works are a bit hit and Miss too but nothing too serious.

I think it just depends on the individual and how your body and mind copes. Some others will have different stories so be sure to check them all out 👍

Think you’ll be out of action on the gym and footy front though for a bit longer.

Best of luck and take it easy! 

User
Posted 21 May 2023 at 18:16

I also had a Gleason score of 3+4.  I was not offered a choice of radiotherapy given my age (54) but I live in Belgium so may be slightly different protocols.   As it turns out surgery was definitely the right option as the tumour had already progressed into the seminal vesicle.  Good luck with what ever you decide.   

User
Posted 18 May 2022 at 21:12

Jase, you will NOT be back to normal in two months. You'll be able to do many things, yes, but this is major abdominal surgery that cuts lots of internal muscles that take many months to rejoin and regain their strength. Don't push things: when your body says "stop", listen to it.

I'm a keen rambler and after my very similar surgery I could walk a few miles on the flat after two months, but mountains? No way. Took a good six months to be able to do that again.

Setting goals for doing stuff is pointless. Everyone heals at a different rate. You'll damage yourself if you try to do too much, too soon.

Very best wishes for your surgery,

Chris

Edited by member 18 May 2022 at 21:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 May 2023 at 09:16
Recovery from abdominal surgery uses up about 5000 kcal per day in the early stages post-op.

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 13:47

Hello,   I’m just 4 weeks after my surgery and planning holiday next week.  Feel good but sometimes a bit fatigued.  Definitely okay for holidays and many hours in a car.  I guess everyone is different but I started walking 5km a day after 1 week and I think this has massively helped my recovery time.  Richard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Dec 2021 at 10:23
It depends on which kind of operation you are having and what kind of job you do but the general expectation is that you would need 6 weeks off work if you have keyhole surgery and more if you have open surgery (a big wound across your stomach). If your job is behind a desk you can get back to it fairly quickly but if your job involves heavy lifting etc you will need up to 12 weeks off. My husband had a desk job but drove a company car and the insurers wouldn't cover him for 12 weeks so although he could have gone back to work at 10 weeks, he couldn't actually get there - one benefit of Covid is that businesses are much better equipped these days for working from home but the downside of that is being put under pressure to work from home when you should really still be on the sick.

Getting back to the gym, cycling, running, all that kind of thing - if you are a keen cyclist, your surgeon might say you can cycle quite soon after the op but some surgeons advise not to do it for at least 6 months. Getting back in the gym and running - depends on whether you are incontinent and can manage to do physical activities with a pad on.

But there are so many questions for us to ask you before that - have you been told that a multi-disciplinary team has decided surgery is the best or only option? Have you seen an oncologist to talk about other treatments such as radiotherapy or brachytherapy? Have you completed your family or do you need to speak to someone about sperm freezing? Have the risks of the operation been explained to you?

User
Posted 11 May 2022 at 19:12

Hello Daniel, I am 59 (regarded as young in this field) but I am athletic and in very good health. I am 2 weeks post surgery and it is all looking good. I am self employed and returned to work today. My work is not physical - tutoring and computer based. I live in Scotland and had the surgery in Aberdeen.

I waited 2 years on active surveillance but then decided to go for surgery when my PSA jumped from 10 to 14.

My erections are good - I am fortunate in that the cancer was contained within the prostate and the surgeon was able to spare erectile nerves on both sides. I had a Laparoscopic Robotic Assisted Radical Prostatecomy resulting in five small 1 inch scars on my belly and a larger 4 inch one on my side.

The pain of muscle damage has almost totally gone. I can ride a bike and walk comfortably.

I have some small leaks of urine and wear pads but it is reducing daily. I practice pelvic floor exercises daily.

User
Posted 18 May 2022 at 20:49

Tim, I feel enthused by your comments. I am 49 and will undergo surgery very shortly, I have written off 2 months with a specific date (my 50th birthday) as my goal to be back to (as best as possible) normality. Work is being very good and allowing me time and space to get through this.

User
Posted 18 May 2022 at 21:12

Jase, you will NOT be back to normal in two months. You'll be able to do many things, yes, but this is major abdominal surgery that cuts lots of internal muscles that take many months to rejoin and regain their strength. Don't push things: when your body says "stop", listen to it.

I'm a keen rambler and after my very similar surgery I could walk a few miles on the flat after two months, but mountains? No way. Took a good six months to be able to do that again.

Setting goals for doing stuff is pointless. Everyone heals at a different rate. You'll damage yourself if you try to do too much, too soon.

Very best wishes for your surgery,

Chris

Edited by member 18 May 2022 at 21:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 May 2022 at 22:07

Jase, I was back behind my desk after 5 weeks and traveling all over the uk visiting construction sites after 7 weeks.Post op take it easy but keep mobile.

Was I back to normal , not entirely. I refrained from lifting and loading things into my car. Post op, 400 mile round trips had to include a short nap on the way back.I regained my continence very quickly, my ED will never fully recover. 

From your profile I expect you are quite fit but as Chris has said it is major surgery, even though the wounds are small. Take you time it is not a race.

Do your pelvic floor exercises. It was suggested by a professional physio at a zoom meeting that pre op you should include practicing the PFEs as you are standing up and lifting things. Leakage when standing is one of the first things I noticed along with getting in and out of a car.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 19 May 2022 at 00:06
Anecdotally, the men on here who subsequently get hernias tend to be those who overdid things in the first 2-3 months post-op. The wounds on the outside may be small but the damage on the inside is just as significant as if you had open surgery so .

John had open RP in the January. He could possibly have been back at work at 10 weeks but his company car insurance wouldn't cover him until 12 weeks. The surgeon asked him to stay off his bike for 6 months to give the nerve bundles a chance to heal. He was playing rugby again at the start of the next season (September) and climbed Kilimanjaro 13 months post-op

One of the difficulties for some men in returning to work is not the discomfort or wounds or anything like that - it is the really practical stuff like managing continence pads in a workplace toilet - the disposal bins are usually in the ladies' toilets, not the men's, or having to wear dark trousers all the time just in case, or needing a different office chair due to still having backache from the epidural. Not everyone by any means, but these are the sort of impediments that are hard to anticipate.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2023 at 16:32

Afternoon all,

id really appreciate someone’s comments on my question relating to post op keyhole removal.

Had it done on Wednesday and was released from hospital the following day with a catheter in. I made my first bowel movement on the Saturday teatime (yesterday) but noticed blood coming from under my foreskin. Nothing in the bag (apart from pee) but just wanted to check this was considered normal. 

It was only blood showing when I went for a number 2. It’s not happening all the time! 

User
Posted 19 Mar 2023 at 17:56
This close to your op check with the ward you were discharged from or call your GP.

Could be a bit of blood and urine bypassing your catheter but it shouldn't be anything significant..

User
Posted 19 Mar 2023 at 18:27

Leaking or bypassing urine around the catheter when passing a motion is frequently mentioned. The blood will stay longer than the urine.

Worth a call to your discharge ward or GP as already mentioned.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 20 Mar 2023 at 11:04

Why does everyone want to rush back to work? Take your time. Heal. I had DaVinci RP and I was signed off for 12 weeks. I took it and made thd most of it. Don't forget you'll be wearing a catheter and eg bag initially. I must admit I didn't get on with that at all and it does limit what you can realistically do. I've heard a couple horror stories about "heroes" who decided to do 100 mile cycling trips with the catheter still in. My advice...Don't be a Hero

User
Posted 20 Mar 2023 at 11:21

Why does everyone rush back to work? Because if your surgeon says you need x weeks off that's how long your Doctor will sign you off for. In my case 4 weeks. Zero complications so I was not going to get any longer even if I still needed to watch a couple more episodes of the Mandelorian....

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 15:26

just had my diagnosis and positive result and my urologists MDT suggest radical treatment, from reading this how long do we think one would be off work for? if opting for surgery 6 weeks upwards? and as a keen footballer and gym goer sounds like this is out for a bit as well

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 16:12

Hello Makem,

Hope you’re good mate. 

I had my prostate op two weeks ago this very day and I am back on site today. I feel great. There are no major issues for me, few aches and soreness where the op took place. The water works are a bit hit and Miss too but nothing too serious.

I think it just depends on the individual and how your body and mind copes. Some others will have different stories so be sure to check them all out 👍

Think you’ll be out of action on the gym and footy front though for a bit longer.

Best of luck and take it easy! 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 17:28

appreciate that well think ill make the most of the gym and footy while i can until spoken to surgeon, defo hard not to get overwhelmed but listening to others experience is helpful 

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 17:49

A lot of it is the worry and stress you put on yourself. It was the first thing I thought of in the morning and the last thing at night. 

Hopefully your experience will be like mine 🤞

Worst thing about it all for me was the catheter. It’s not painful in anyway, it’s just a pain in the arse having it in! 

User
Posted 04 May 2023 at 14:39

im going in next week, not looking forward to the recovery  time , but happy if after 4-6 weeks i can at least get back on a cross trainer, defo sounds like football out of the question for a while, hope all the good stories here i recovery in a similar way

User
Posted 04 May 2023 at 20:08

Hi Makem

I had my RP towards the end of November '22. I was a regular runner and cyclist so tried to get as fit as possible prior to the op, but post op I took it very very easy. The only exercise I did was walking, building up from a couple of hundred metres in the first week to 3 or 4 km's by week 6.  I went back to Parkrun after about 10 weeks and completed a 10 km race last week (5 months post op). My fitness seems to be back to where it was pre-op and I think it's really important not to try to do too much in the early days. 

I was fortunate that work signed me off for 6 weeks. I thought I'd get bored during that time but it was actually great to have a proper break and take it really easy.

Hope your procedure goes well

Steve

User
Posted 05 May 2023 at 07:44

Markem

To echo the above pre op I was really fit. I had just hiked the Beacons way in a shortish time plus completed some 20 milers over tough terrain. I was the lightest I had been for some time 

Was only given 4 weeks off work. I took it very steady post OP. Very short walks to begin with to the corner of the road for first few days then round the block and built back up from there. If I did too much I really knew about it next day and suffered. You just have to be sensible and take it at your own pace. You will get there.

User
Posted 05 May 2023 at 09:16
Recovery from abdominal surgery uses up about 5000 kcal per day in the early stages post-op.

User
Posted 05 May 2023 at 13:32

I had my RP in September, aged 47. The doctor gave me six weeks off work and I took it all. I didn't leak after the op and could have gone back to my job sooner, but I was aware that there was a lot of internal healing going on and I also wanted time away from the stress of work. I tried to strike a reasonable balance between moving and resting, and above all I followed the directions of the surgeon, nurses, etc. They continually said to "listen to the body". Now I am back to running, travelling, basically exactly as before.

I found this video from UCLH quite useful before the surgery: UCLH surgical school

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 10:28

Hi guys - I am due to have robot-assisted RP by the start of July and I am 50. I totally get the idea of not rushing back to work but the big issue for me is that we have a holiday booked for the second week in August (booked in the days before I found out about the cancer, obviously!)  It sounds like it will be about 6 weeks post op. I guess I won't be up to six hours in a car, Eurotunnel, etc but just wanted to check with people who know before I reluctantly cancel :-(

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 10:54
You should be ok at 6 weeks to travel by car, just don't overdo the exercise. You probably won't be continent by then so think about how you will manage that. Make sure your insurance is ok!
User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 10:55

Good points certainly taken on board! Thank you.

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 10:57

Trentender, we all recover at different rates. I was back behind my desk after 5 weeks and driving all over the UK at 7 weeks post op. I did need to have a quick nap on a five hour return journey home. Make sure you speak to your insurance company before resuming driving. Presumably you will be able to have journey breaks.

A more recent post op information sheet (that I can't find) included advice on post op long car journeys as well as long haul flights.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 10:59

Thanks Chris. I guess it is just a case of waiting to see how things progress post op. 

Up The Reds :-)

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 12:46

I'm now 5 weeks post op. If you had asked me last week about a holiday at 6 weeks I would have said no. Now I am not so sure but still get tired and have continence issues albeit improving. On balance at 6 weeks I would probably not want to travel - I have reservations about returning to work due to continence issues (now 2/3 pads per day and no change at night so improving). I was due to go to Greece island hoping at c.8 weeks post op and decided to cancel. I could not envisage a 3/4 hour flight, lugging luggage round and getting on / off boats. Ironically my post op assessment with surgeon has been moved to when I was due to be away (nearly 9 weeks post op). You need to aware your op could be moved - mine was to earlier! Everyone is different and recovers at different levels. I have tried to go down the slow / steady take it easy route and play the long game on the basis I have hopefully many years ahead toe enjoy holidays and lift. Short term gain for hopefully longer term gain.

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 12:48

Thanks I totally get that. I guess I will just have to react to how it all goes and stay flexible. Like you say, better to take it slow and have time later for the other stuff.

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 13:47

Hello,   I’m just 4 weeks after my surgery and planning holiday next week.  Feel good but sometimes a bit fatigued.  Definitely okay for holidays and many hours in a car.  I guess everyone is different but I started walking 5km a day after 1 week and I think this has massively helped my recovery time.  Richard

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 14:06

Thanks for the info. I am a really keen walker anyway so hopefully I will be able to get out and stretch my legs as soon as I can after the surgery. I hope you have a great holiday!!

User
Posted 18 May 2023 at 14:17

Gosh that’s good going. I was struggling with 1,500 steps a day a couple of weeks post surgery. I hit a new PB yesterday of 8,500 steps! Last week I was at 6,000 and that knackered me. Those steps are over a day and normally comprise 2 walks getting slightly longer. Pre op I would get up to over 20,000 + steps a day on a regular basis. 

User
Posted 21 May 2023 at 17:44

Hello Kev 

Thank you for putting your experiences on here . I was  only diagnosed a few days ago and it does take over your mind morning till night . Being a very active and i would say reasonably Fit Farmer , my thoughts are go for the operation and take the cause of the problem away just incase it returns having gone through the radiotherapy option then it makes removal a bit more tricky . Presuming  everyone goes through this and what if that and what if this happens.( My Gleason score is 3+4 and all contained within the prostate). Huge choices to make but encouraged by some of your comments.   

User
Posted 21 May 2023 at 18:16

I also had a Gleason score of 3+4.  I was not offered a choice of radiotherapy given my age (54) but I live in Belgium so may be slightly different protocols.   As it turns out surgery was definitely the right option as the tumour had already progressed into the seminal vesicle.  Good luck with what ever you decide.   

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 00:46

I am 57 and now 2 weeks post RALP surgery 

The catheter was not fun but used having it to take as much rest as could. Had a little blood passing the catheter during bowel movements. It came out 10 days post surgery. 

Been out having reasonable walks on the flat  over past couple of days interspersed with rest.

drinking plenty of fluids (water and cranberry juice)

small manageable leaks during day and dry overnight with by getting up several times for a pee.

Have restarted pelvic floor exercises. 

good luck with it all. Lots of good advice on these forums. 

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 08:28

Hi Daniel

You are very unlucky to get this at such young age but because of your age you can expect to make full and speedy recovery. I had my surgery at the age of 72 and I am lucky to be writing this 12 years later!  I was out with my wife for a coffee three days after the surgery! One thing they don't tell you is that sometimes urine leaks past the catheter which can be rather disturbing. I won't repeat all the good advice you are getting from others here. Good luck.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate