I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

surgery- a day case?

User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 18:04

Just had my appointment letter with a date for robot assisted surgery. Says its a day case. Will double check but most people seemed to be in overnight.

Anyone else know if it can be no overnight stay after the surgery?

Cheers

Dave

User
Posted 24 Dec 2021 at 17:55

Mine was an 8:30am op. From my perspective you’d need to do at least one night in for observation and to get over 2.5hrs under a GA. Da Vinci console time for the surgeon is usually ~90mins depending on complexity etc I didn’t need morphine post op as had spinal anaesthesia so no pain at all. Day two I was walking around the corridors and burning time watching tv until after 2nd night in. I could have gone home I guess but preferred to go with two night stay….plus the food was excellent 🙂

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 07:57

I suspect probably wishful thinking on the part of the hospital due to Covid pressure.  Would be very surprised if you don't need at least one night's stay as you'll likely to be feeling very rough.

Flex

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 13:12

Indeed. Reactions to the anaesthetic are pretty common. I spent most of the night after my surgery throwing up. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be at home on my own! You're also pretty certain to need intravenous pain management (morphine) for the first day or so. You certainly can't do that at home.

Chris

Edited by member 23 Dec 2021 at 19:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 17:33

I would read "day case" as 24 hours.

My RALP was similar, Op was at 13:30, ready for discharge at 11:30 next day, but of course had to wait until 15:45 to get my meds from the pharmacy.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 20:02
I too wonder whether this is possible. The operation takes some time, you do not regain consciousnness for several hours, then you need to be checked by the surgeon, prove that you can walk unaided, get medicines issue and be officially discharged. I don't see it being possible in one day - the surgeon will likely have gone by the time you're ready for discharge.
User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 12:04

Had my salvage RALP and removal of pelvic lymph nodes on 20th December. The following day the surgeon gave me the all clear to go home but tbh it was last thing I wanted to do! Mind you it was a 120 mile trip home.

In addition to the op I had a problem with my eye! Apparently they tape your eyes closed during surgery ....... when I came round in the recovery room the first thing I noticed was the pain in my eye. Apparently they found an eyelash and they flushed my eye with saline solution. I had severe eye pain all night and it only eased slowly over the next 5 or so days. Lets face it you don't expect to get an eye problem when you get your prostate removed!

I told them I didn't feel well enough to go home and their reply is it's absolutely no problem ........ we will keep you in another night.

As it turned out I was kept in another 2 nights, 3 in all. This was partly due to the eye (which wasn't looked at until 23rd Dec - I had an infected eye ulcer)) and another complication.

Personally I would request a stay in hospital of at least 1 night, preferably 2.

Edited by member 01 Jan 2022 at 12:05  | Reason: date incorrect

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 21:51

I had prostate and lymp nodes removed with Davinci. Didn't recover well after GA so they wanted to keep me in for two nights. Was very sick on the second morning and ended up in for 3 nights.

Hope it goes well for you. 👍

Jim

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 06:05

I was kept in for 3 nights.  My blood pressure was so low I fainted.  

User
Posted 13 Feb 2022 at 22:14

I’ve heard of it but Drs I talk to dismiss it as macho surgeon behavior. I would take the suggestion as a cue to look elsewhere. I was 2 and glad of it. 

After showing up at 6am I should add. 

Edited by member 14 Feb 2022 at 05:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2022 at 22:34

My RALP was conducted here in California, I was admitted at 5:30 AM and discharged at 1 PM the same day.

Thankfully everything went to plan and I had no ill effects from the GA.

I did get daily follow up calls from the surgical team for a few days after the op.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 18:48

Never heard such a thing. Possibly it is a covid thing and you are planned for a very early morning op but I would check with the consultant.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Dec 2021 at 18:49

I will check, but have seen a number of research papers saying it is fine for some people..

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 07:57

I suspect probably wishful thinking on the part of the hospital due to Covid pressure.  Would be very surprised if you don't need at least one night's stay as you'll likely to be feeling very rough.

Flex

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 13:12

Indeed. Reactions to the anaesthetic are pretty common. I spent most of the night after my surgery throwing up. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be at home on my own! You're also pretty certain to need intravenous pain management (morphine) for the first day or so. You certainly can't do that at home.

Chris

Edited by member 23 Dec 2021 at 19:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 17:33

I would read "day case" as 24 hours.

My RALP was similar, Op was at 13:30, ready for discharge at 11:30 next day, but of course had to wait until 15:45 to get my meds from the pharmacy.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2021 at 20:02
I too wonder whether this is possible. The operation takes some time, you do not regain consciousnness for several hours, then you need to be checked by the surgeon, prove that you can walk unaided, get medicines issue and be officially discharged. I don't see it being possible in one day - the surgeon will likely have gone by the time you're ready for discharge.
User
Posted 24 Dec 2021 at 17:55

Mine was an 8:30am op. From my perspective you’d need to do at least one night in for observation and to get over 2.5hrs under a GA. Da Vinci console time for the surgeon is usually ~90mins depending on complexity etc I didn’t need morphine post op as had spinal anaesthesia so no pain at all. Day two I was walking around the corridors and burning time watching tv until after 2nd night in. I could have gone home I guess but preferred to go with two night stay….plus the food was excellent 🙂

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 12:04

Had my salvage RALP and removal of pelvic lymph nodes on 20th December. The following day the surgeon gave me the all clear to go home but tbh it was last thing I wanted to do! Mind you it was a 120 mile trip home.

In addition to the op I had a problem with my eye! Apparently they tape your eyes closed during surgery ....... when I came round in the recovery room the first thing I noticed was the pain in my eye. Apparently they found an eyelash and they flushed my eye with saline solution. I had severe eye pain all night and it only eased slowly over the next 5 or so days. Lets face it you don't expect to get an eye problem when you get your prostate removed!

I told them I didn't feel well enough to go home and their reply is it's absolutely no problem ........ we will keep you in another night.

As it turned out I was kept in another 2 nights, 3 in all. This was partly due to the eye (which wasn't looked at until 23rd Dec - I had an infected eye ulcer)) and another complication.

Personally I would request a stay in hospital of at least 1 night, preferably 2.

Edited by member 01 Jan 2022 at 12:05  | Reason: date incorrect

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 21:51

I had prostate and lymp nodes removed with Davinci. Didn't recover well after GA so they wanted to keep me in for two nights. Was very sick on the second morning and ended up in for 3 nights.

Hope it goes well for you. 👍

Jim

User
Posted 05 Feb 2022 at 20:04
D@ve, presumably it didn't turn out to be a day case after all?

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Feb 2022 at 20:10

No Chris ! was in 2 nights. 

in my case no way would i have been ok to go home same day!

Dave

User
Posted 05 Feb 2022 at 20:13

well done for posting.

It can be overwhelming and youll get support here if want it.

I am almost 4 weeks post surgery- happy to chat about my own experiences of NHS care

Keep us posted 

Dave

User
Posted 06 Feb 2022 at 06:05

I was kept in for 3 nights.  My blood pressure was so low I fainted.  

User
Posted 13 Feb 2022 at 22:14

I’ve heard of it but Drs I talk to dismiss it as macho surgeon behavior. I would take the suggestion as a cue to look elsewhere. I was 2 and glad of it. 

After showing up at 6am I should add. 

Edited by member 14 Feb 2022 at 05:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2022 at 22:34

My RALP was conducted here in California, I was admitted at 5:30 AM and discharged at 1 PM the same day.

Thankfully everything went to plan and I had no ill effects from the GA.

I did get daily follow up calls from the surgical team for a few days after the op.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 01:29

I just had mine 12 hours ago and staying overnight. At consultation I was told 48hrs but on admission I’m hearing 24. We’ll see in the morning. 
Update: they are using blood in the urine as an indicator whether it'll be 24 or 48 hours.

Edited by member 10 Jun 2022 at 08:23  | Reason: Addition

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 19:51

My OH had to stay 2 nights due to a reaction to the anastetics and a UTI he picked up at the hospital, I think daycare is wishful thinking and I recommend you take wash kit and toothbrush