Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After the op!

User
Posted 28 Dec 2021 at 15:42

Hi

My hubby had a radical prostatectomy with the Da Vinci machine 4 days ago, so all removed and went well thankfully. In one day out the next.  He’s mostly good, coping with the catheter but he has a sharpish pain on his right side near one of the incisions. It alleviates with painkillers. It’s worrying him. I’m telling him it’s post-op trauma and it will take time. Should he be concerned? He has no temperature, he’s eating and drinking, his urine output good and bowels good. Any thoughts appreciated. From an exhausted wife! Lol

User
Posted 29 Dec 2021 at 09:40

I cannot offer any reasons, but I can say that after my RALP on 5th November, I had some pain and swelling around a couple of my incisions, particularly the larger one near the centre  from where, I understand, the gland is extracted. It felt as if they were being pulled from the inside. All settled down gradually over the following few weeks. Please don't forget, all you see on the outside are some fairly minor incisions - the inside will be quite different.

Peter

User
Posted 29 Dec 2021 at 10:16

Thanks for your thoughts Peter, I’ll let hubby know. Cheers

User
Posted 29 Dec 2021 at 10:31

I underwent RALP on 21/12 and, like your husband, was out the day after surgery.  It took a few days for areas where my 7 puncture wounds are (looks like something from an NCIS crime scene) to feel uncomfortable, not painful, and I  am led to believe that it takes a few days for this to happen because the powerful drugs you have had pumped into you during surgery take a little while to get out of your system. A week on from surgery, the puncture wound areas now itch a little and are looking less "frightening". Best not to let your husband view himself in the mirror as, when I did, I was quite surprised how deformed my navel area looked.

Ivan

User
Posted 29 Dec 2021 at 10:40
As above, the pain relief from hospital will be starting to wear off and he will become more aware of the pain. Despite the tiny wounds, his insides have been slashed and burnt - the op is equivalent to a woman having a caesarian section in terms of the amount of internal damage.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 00:24

Thanks Ivan. He is getting there! Has a good chat with the urology nurse, put his mind at rest a little!

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 00:25

Yes you are right! I watched the op on YouTube, fascinating. 😮

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 00:34

My husband too had his RALP on the 21st. He’s felt generally ok but we kept up painkillers for the first few days whether he felt he needed them or not (just paracetamol really) I remember our pre appointment with the nurse….she told us on day 3 when we were home be expected to feel really rubbish and to be the worst day…following day should start to feel better though. My OH didn’t really get this but could possibly apply to your husband. If in any doubts contact the nurses. Best of luck and fingers crossed for speedy recovery x

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 14:45

Thanks for your thoughts Elaine, much appreciated. He’s getting there, the catheter he hates, a little nauseous this morning but that’s easing now. He IS making progress, I can see it, he can’t at the mo. Early days. Speedy recovery to your husband too.