I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pension and general stuff

User
Posted 29 Dec 2021 at 22:23

It’s always been my intention to work until I drop (I lack ambition) but since my illness I have started to think should I cut down my hours ie at age 60 reduce to a four day week ,then reduce further to 3 days from age 63 depending on affordability of course ….. is there an average life span for someone who has pc and has had radiotherapy….also do I need to inform my pension company about the illness,any advice gratefully received.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 15:06
I took early retirement on my 57th birthday, a few months after finishing my cancer treatment. Work for me was always just a way of paying for my hobbies, and the cancer diagnosis (x2!) made me realise that it was very low down my list of what was important in life. Very few of us when on our death bed will say "If only I'd spent more time in the office!". When you've paid off your mortgage it's surprising how little money you actually need to live on, and I worked out that I could afford to live comfortably on my three separate pensions even though I would be earning rather less than previously.

Two and a half years on, and I can honestly say that retirement is the best thing I've ever done. I can completely indulge my hobbies of art and (playing) music, and financially it's all worked out fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 16:14
Hi Ernie

I think it is always wise to keep your pension company in the loop.

In terms of work/life balance I think you are right to at least think about reducing your hours. As a civil servant I was lucky enough to "partially" retire age 60. Three days a week ( and my pension) ensure that I do not have to worry too much about money. I'm working from home ( if you can call what I do "work") so I'm thinking about keeping going for a few more months.

In terms of life expectancy I believe there is a nomogram hosted by https://www.mskcc.org/ which may be useful. Sorry I can't be more specific but the search function here is pretty poor. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to give you a better steer.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 16:21

No need to tell your pension provider about your diagnosis & treatment although if you also have critical illness cover you may find that they are happy to pay out based on your T3 diagnosis - people sometimes forget about their critical illness cover and miss the boat.

Re the possibility of retirement - you have had what was intended to be curative treatment so, unless your PSA starts to rise significantly, there is no reason to think your life will be any shorter than it would have been if you had never got prostate cancer. I think there is something though about quality of life. John was 50 at diagnosis and 52 when he had a recurrence; just before his 60th birthday, I suddenly panicked that it would be awful if he worked full time to 65 or 67 or whatever it is now and then didn't have many years of retirement for us to do all the things we had planned. I suggested on a Tuesday evening that he talk to HR, he spoke to them on the Wednesday, we had a meeting with the financial adviser on the Thursday and he retired on the Sunday. He draws two small company pensions from many years ago - this just about pays for his car & his bee-keeping stuff - but I am a bit younger and still working full time otherwise he wouldn't have been able to do it.

It is essential to get financial advice before making a decision like this; they usually know all the implications of drawing down a pension pot early, etc etc. Ours worked out that if John survives until he is 77, we will have lost out financially by him taking his pension early but to be honest, I just felt that 17 years of not having to commute 3 hours a day on the M62 / being able to go on holiday as often as we like / having all the hours in the day to follow his hobbies would be worth far more than the few pounds he might lose out on. Plus, our actuary calculated that it is very unlikely he will survive to 77 having had cancer at 50 and a recurrence at 52.

Edited by member 30 Dec 2021 at 22:30  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 22:01

You can make a guess as to your life expectancy.

https://prostate.predict.nhs.uk/tool

If you put in your details and select radical treatment you can see your survival statistics for up to 15 years. From your bio it looks like you have a 60% chance of surviving 15 years. If you imagine the curve is extended until it gets to 50%, then it suggests your median life expectancy is 18 years post diagnosis =73.

You may want to check this yourself as I have made some guesses about your biopsy results.

If you had not been diagnosed your 15 year survival rates was about 95%.

Whether this information is of any real use is another question. If you are cured your 15 year survival is 95% if not it is about 0%. If you don't know and in reality none of us do then 73 years is the best guess.

All I can tell you about my survival rates is it is 100% 3 years and 9 months after diagnosis, ask me again in 11 years and three months and I will tell you my 15 year survival rate.

Edited by member 31 Dec 2021 at 21:10  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 10:08

Hi Ernie,

When you said you intended to work until you drop is that because you like working, had nothing else that appealed or needed more income.

In many ways being ill doesn't change that you can work till you drop. Although if you want to drop later it could be that stopping work might help.  Although some people get bored being retired which might make them drop earlier.   I know a few people who went back to work after retiring, some full time, some part time.   Some due to boredom, some for a bit of money.

Also you might want to talk to your pension provider or look up the details as some pensions will give you a higher payout if you have ill health that might shorten the time they pay out.

I was nervous about retiring at 55 although I'd always wanted to go in my 50s.  You never know if you'll find it boring or not have enough cash.  I discovered I was made for being retired although my brother in law is the same age as me and says he's got several years more work planned, he will work until he drops.

All the best
Peter

Edited by member 31 Dec 2021 at 10:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 09:13
Enjoy your retirement, francij1!

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 18:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Having just handed my notice in I like posts like this Chris!

Well done Francij - life is for living 👏 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 20:53

Well done francij. Enjoy your retirement. 

I took early retirement at 55 in 2017. It was before my diagnosis. I'm so glad I didn't need to go through this whilst working.

Early retirement has been so good. Absolutely no regrets. 

Jim 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 14:02
Illnesses like this will prompt thoughts of what is really important to me in life, and maybe work is not the be all and end all. I am reassessing my work life balance, after now recovering from the prostatectomy.

At colleague at work had RT for his cancer several years ago, and after being given all clear and is doing just fine.

Terminal diagnosis can affect private pension pot pay-outs, but informing them will depend on how your recovery goes in the next year or two.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 16:14
Hi Ernie

I think it is always wise to keep your pension company in the loop.

In terms of work/life balance I think you are right to at least think about reducing your hours. As a civil servant I was lucky enough to "partially" retire age 60. Three days a week ( and my pension) ensure that I do not have to worry too much about money. I'm working from home ( if you can call what I do "work") so I'm thinking about keeping going for a few more months.

In terms of life expectancy I believe there is a nomogram hosted by https://www.mskcc.org/ which may be useful. Sorry I can't be more specific but the search function here is pretty poor. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to give you a better steer.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 16:21

No need to tell your pension provider about your diagnosis & treatment although if you also have critical illness cover you may find that they are happy to pay out based on your T3 diagnosis - people sometimes forget about their critical illness cover and miss the boat.

Re the possibility of retirement - you have had what was intended to be curative treatment so, unless your PSA starts to rise significantly, there is no reason to think your life will be any shorter than it would have been if you had never got prostate cancer. I think there is something though about quality of life. John was 50 at diagnosis and 52 when he had a recurrence; just before his 60th birthday, I suddenly panicked that it would be awful if he worked full time to 65 or 67 or whatever it is now and then didn't have many years of retirement for us to do all the things we had planned. I suggested on a Tuesday evening that he talk to HR, he spoke to them on the Wednesday, we had a meeting with the financial adviser on the Thursday and he retired on the Sunday. He draws two small company pensions from many years ago - this just about pays for his car & his bee-keeping stuff - but I am a bit younger and still working full time otherwise he wouldn't have been able to do it.

It is essential to get financial advice before making a decision like this; they usually know all the implications of drawing down a pension pot early, etc etc. Ours worked out that if John survives until he is 77, we will have lost out financially by him taking his pension early but to be honest, I just felt that 17 years of not having to commute 3 hours a day on the M62 / being able to go on holiday as often as we like / having all the hours in the day to follow his hobbies would be worth far more than the few pounds he might lose out on. Plus, our actuary calculated that it is very unlikely he will survive to 77 having had cancer at 50 and a recurrence at 52.

Edited by member 30 Dec 2021 at 22:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 21:44

Being a bit older, I had already shifted to 4 days a week and was thinking of moving to 3. After RP I decided to retire fully, but during Covid I was asked if I would do some work as a contractor and I have carried that on. Currently it's back down to about 1 day a week, all from home, which suits me fine.

As they say though, you can't take it with you, so there's no point in working if you don't enjoy it and don't need the money.

Edited by member 30 Dec 2021 at 21:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Dec 2021 at 22:01

You can make a guess as to your life expectancy.

https://prostate.predict.nhs.uk/tool

If you put in your details and select radical treatment you can see your survival statistics for up to 15 years. From your bio it looks like you have a 60% chance of surviving 15 years. If you imagine the curve is extended until it gets to 50%, then it suggests your median life expectancy is 18 years post diagnosis =73.

You may want to check this yourself as I have made some guesses about your biopsy results.

If you had not been diagnosed your 15 year survival rates was about 95%.

Whether this information is of any real use is another question. If you are cured your 15 year survival is 95% if not it is about 0%. If you don't know and in reality none of us do then 73 years is the best guess.

All I can tell you about my survival rates is it is 100% 3 years and 9 months after diagnosis, ask me again in 11 years and three months and I will tell you my 15 year survival rate.

Edited by member 31 Dec 2021 at 21:10  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 10:08

Hi Ernie,

When you said you intended to work until you drop is that because you like working, had nothing else that appealed or needed more income.

In many ways being ill doesn't change that you can work till you drop. Although if you want to drop later it could be that stopping work might help.  Although some people get bored being retired which might make them drop earlier.   I know a few people who went back to work after retiring, some full time, some part time.   Some due to boredom, some for a bit of money.

Also you might want to talk to your pension provider or look up the details as some pensions will give you a higher payout if you have ill health that might shorten the time they pay out.

I was nervous about retiring at 55 although I'd always wanted to go in my 50s.  You never know if you'll find it boring or not have enough cash.  I discovered I was made for being retired although my brother in law is the same age as me and says he's got several years more work planned, he will work until he drops.

All the best
Peter

Edited by member 31 Dec 2021 at 10:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 15:06
I took early retirement on my 57th birthday, a few months after finishing my cancer treatment. Work for me was always just a way of paying for my hobbies, and the cancer diagnosis (x2!) made me realise that it was very low down my list of what was important in life. Very few of us when on our death bed will say "If only I'd spent more time in the office!". When you've paid off your mortgage it's surprising how little money you actually need to live on, and I worked out that I could afford to live comfortably on my three separate pensions even though I would be earning rather less than previously.

Two and a half years on, and I can honestly say that retirement is the best thing I've ever done. I can completely indulge my hobbies of art and (playing) music, and financially it's all worked out fine.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 08:12
User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 09:13
Enjoy your retirement, francij1!

Chris

User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 17:58
Thanks everyone, I genuinely adore work even though I have a very filthy job, but I also want to have more time with my motorcycle.. music festivals… red wine…. Wife and grandson.ideally I need a hobby that could generate some small income I make very good Christmas cakes maybe I can flog them?
User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 18:31
Maybe do something with motorcycles.People use them all year, unlike Xmas cakes... 😉
User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 18:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Well done Francij - life is for living 👏 

User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 19:47

My cakes last a minimum of two years due to the high volume of brandy, 😋bike stuff could work well and it would be fun.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 20:53

Well done francij. Enjoy your retirement. 

I took early retirement at 55 in 2017. It was before my diagnosis. I'm so glad I didn't need to go through this whilst working.

Early retirement has been so good. Absolutely no regrets. 

Jim 

User
Posted 06 Jan 2022 at 09:59

Great decision Francij1. Enjoy retirement.

Ido4