I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Immunity level

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 10:45

I received a letter from NHS saying I may be eligible for a fourth covid jab due to my immune system being compromised. Would I be compromised due to the PC or the treatment (radiation, zolodox, Xtandi)? I am being ultra cautious when going out especially as thousands of Scots are expected to first foot in my neck of the woods. 

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 11:19

In the case of treatments, chemo or immunotherapy may make the vaccine less effective. Hormone therapy probably makes you less susceptible to COVID infection, but has no lasting effect if you come off it and Testosterone returns.

I don't think prostate cancer itself ever compromises your immune system, except perhaps in very late stages.

I don't think a lot of thought goes into selecting the recipients of these notices - they probably just selected everyone currently being treated for any cancer.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 11:56
Xtandi (enzalutimide) is a form of chemotherapy and reduces your ability to fight off infection. A fourth dose therefore seems wise if you are still taking enza.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 10:45

I received a letter from NHS saying I may be eligible for a fourth covid jab due to my immune system being compromised. Would I be compromised due to the PC or the treatment (radiation, zolodox, Xtandi)? I am being ultra cautious when going out especially as thousands of Scots are expected to first foot in my neck of the woods. 

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 12:26
Hi ,Gary has had chemo and now on abi and Enza but was not deemed at risk for early vaccine but instead had to wait for his age group .

Not sure how they decide but thankfully now had 3rd / booster jab , even though we both caught it after the second jab .

If a 4 th jab is offered he’ll take it .

Best wishes

Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 11:19

In the case of treatments, chemo or immunotherapy may make the vaccine less effective. Hormone therapy probably makes you less susceptible to COVID infection, but has no lasting effect if you come off it and Testosterone returns.

I don't think prostate cancer itself ever compromises your immune system, except perhaps in very late stages.

I don't think a lot of thought goes into selecting the recipients of these notices - they probably just selected everyone currently being treated for any cancer.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 11:56
Xtandi (enzalutimide) is a form of chemotherapy and reduces your ability to fight off infection. A fourth dose therefore seems wise if you are still taking enza.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 12:26
Hi ,Gary has had chemo and now on abi and Enza but was not deemed at risk for early vaccine but instead had to wait for his age group .

Not sure how they decide but thankfully now had 3rd / booster jab , even though we both caught it after the second jab .

If a 4 th jab is offered he’ll take it .

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 14:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

IHormone therapy probably makes you less susceptible to COVID infection, but has no lasting effect if you come off it and Testosterone returns.

Why would HT make you less susceptible to infection, Andy?

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 22:54

Cheers,

Chris

I'm sure I saw last year it was something to do with C19 not being able to spread as rapidly in your system, as it was starved of some protein it wanted thanks to HT. If it cant build up as quickly, your immune system had a good chance of stopping it. I also thought someone on here mentioned that the Mt Vernon oncos were surprised that none of their regulars were affected by it?

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 31 Dec 2021 at 23:50

IHormone therapy probably makes you less susceptible to COVID infection, but has no lasting effect if you come off it and Testosterone returns.

Yes, COVID-19 needs a specific protein which enables the virus to invade a host cell.

This protein is produced by our TMPRSS2 gene, which is activated by Testosterone. Prostate cancer researchers know quite a lot about this gene because it's expressed heavily in the prostate. It is also expressed in the lungs (I don't know if anyone knows why), but this is necessary for the COVID-19 virus to enter a cell in the lungs. Even women and some children have enough Testosterone for this, but the lower level in some patients on hormone therapy does seem to make it harder for the virus to get a hold. Some analysis of the initial COVID-19 infections in the first wave in Italy showed that prostate cancer patients on hormone therapy were over 4 times less likely to get serious COVID-19 infections than the population as a whole. That roughly equates to being as effective as between 1 and 2 doses of vaccination. (I don't know if/how Omicron might change this, as it seems to be less infectious in the lungs itself.)

User
Posted 01 Jan 2022 at 12:32
Thanks for that explanation Andy, it cheers me up a little to think that I have my own magic shield.

And by the way, Happy New Year everyone.