I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radio Therapy Side Effects

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 11:58

After undergoing prostate a removal  operation on 4th Aug last year it appears I'm to have a 3/4 week radio therapy session around 3 months time to get rid of it completely. Can anyone tell me what common side effects you suffered please. I also have a choice of Hormone Therapy instead of the above.  

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 13:07
Are you sure the hormone therapy is instead? More likely that they are giving you the choice of whether to have hormone therapy as well as radiotherapy, not instead of.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 13:18

I agree with Lyn. You may have been offered HT as a choice, but it won't be instead of RT. HT is not a curative treatment; it just stops the cancer from spreading while the RT kills it.

RT generally has relatively few side effects. Towards the end of your treatment (and shortly after) you're likely to experience a frequent need to pee and have disturbed vowel movements. The peeing urgency should wear off in a few weeks; the bowel issues take longer to settle (the best part of a year in my case).

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 14:53
I had 6 *6 greys over 6 weeks. Initially no issues, but over the period I fely increasingly tired and looked pale and unwell. In the 8 weeks since I have recovered somewhat and put the on-going tiredness and lethargy down to Xtandi.
User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 15:31

Thank you for your reply and I think HT will be followed by RT, unfortunately the doctor was a bit vague on the subject. I just assumed that because my PSA is 0.03 I might be offered HT instead of RT. My main concern about RT is the side effects which is why I chose to have the op to remove the prostate hoping that would be the end of it...Not to be.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 15:31

Hello Holloben1,

Most people get some temporary side effects during the radiotherapy treatment. These can be a reduction in urinary continence, loose bowels, mucus farts, and a loss of ability to do just a #1 without doing a #2 too (so sit down to pee). These gradually resolve afterwards, urinary function first, and bowel functions second. Radiotherapy can also generate fatigue, although being fit before the radiotherapy and keeping up some exercise throughout can counteract this.

There is also the possibility of some late-onset side effects (starting from 3 months after treatment), but these are much rarer.

As others said, you may get an option of hormone therapy or not, but radiotherapy won't be optional. Hormone therapy has other side effects, but may slightly increase the probably of a long-term cure. It is for you to weigh up which option you want to take, but you might want to ask your oncologist what the difference in outcomes is with, and without hormone therapy, since that's what you're weighing against the hormone therapy side effects.

Edited by member 02 Jan 2022 at 15:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 15:47

Many thanks for your reply.