I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should i still be worried with these latest results? Its hard to know what good and whats not!

User
Posted 04 Jan 2022 at 01:43

Just to say hi to all of the people and thanks the kind advice and replies given on here. I have now finished my treatment. 

My original diagnosis:

Prostate carcinoma clinically T3

PSA 25.2 repeat 23.2

MRI (September 2020) T3bN1

TP biopsies (20th September 2020) right 4/14 cores 4+3 4-mm, left 12/12 cores 4+5 40-mm, total number of cores 16/26

Bone scan (15th September 2020) and CT (15th September 2020) left adrenal adenoma felt to be benign bone lesion left SIJ, but ?lymph node, left pelvis

PSMA scan 26th September 2020 activity in prostate and nodes up to level of L2. Non-specific changes in axilla and left SCF

Hormonal treatment starting 30.09.2020 and to continue

Upfront Taxotere chemotherapy six courses December 2020 through to April 2021

Episode of AF March 2021

PSA 0.62 10th April 2021

Testosterone 4.7 (04.09.2020)

PMSA Scan 23.04.2021 response in pelvic and abdominal lymph nodes. Concern that left SIJ lesion was bone met. Still non-specific with regards to left axillary and left SCF nodes although slightly less obvious now

Since my diagnosis i have completed 6 sessions of chemotherapy which before the last session had brought my PSA down to 0.63. That was in April.

I had 25 external beam radiations to prostate and lymph nodes and suspected bone met. I then underwent HDR brachytherapy which all finished in july. I am still on ADT and have been told I will be for probably at least the next 2 years. My lastest psa results are:
September 0.12
December 0.11

I am grateful for all the treatment I have had even though at times its been very hard on me and my family. There have been some dark times but my family have stayed strong for me and am proud of my partner and young daughter for their strength and support. My oncologist has always said his aim was to cure me but i am very aware what the word cure means and that nothing can be promised. I have been so focused on fighting and treatment i did not prepare myself for how i would feel once it was done. Although I'm hopeful and trying to stay positive the cloud of fear has not left me. I suppose this is the same for anyone thats had to deal with this frightening disease. Deep down i am frightened that the cancer may not all be gone and will have to deal with this all again after the huge toll its already taken. Have asked my oncologist what my outlook now is and what might happen in the future. I know its a stupid question deep down and as he said he cant answer it and there is no point having conversations about things that may or may not happen until they do. If anyone has been in a similar situation what were the long term results of the same treatment? Have been told to put it to the back of my mind and try and get on with my life. If anyone can give some advice on how the best way to do that is I would really appreciate it?. Im not ashamed to say being diagnosed and then all the treatment has been a frightening ordeal like it is for anyone. I just really want to be the best I can be for my family and not live under this cloud of fear that I have been. My best wishes and prayers to everyone and their family's that has to deal with and fight this disease.

User
Posted 04 Jan 2022 at 12:48

Hi .Just read your post and understand how you feel .It's a long hard road and although my oncologist said he was aiming for a cure the twists and turns in this 'journey' cause much stress and heartache .I am awaiting the result of a CT scan ,due tomorrow ,after a very small uptake in the left SIJ was found after a bone scan which I had for pain in my right hip which turned out to be of all thing shingles .They couldn't work out what it is from the bone scan but it could be an insufficiency fracture caused by the RT I had last January .I had a prostectomy in Feb 2020 which didn't remove all the cancer it was in some local lymph nodes  so I was put on Enzalutimide as first line salvage therapy as I'm still hormone sensitive  and ADT followed by RT last January.My Psa has been completely undetectable since the start of taking Enzalutimide and ADT ,great news but it's things like this last bone scan that throw a spanner in the works and cause anxiety and fear .In the main my wife and I manage to live well day to day we get on with life and have the philosophy that death is not an option we all die one day and prostate cancer is more a chronic illness these days than it was in the past .Many wonderful new treatments are on the horizon and treatment can only get better so life is for living .We both get very stressed awaiting test and psa results it's an  unavoidable fact if you have this disease .But the doctors are there to help us and we have had fantastic treatment from the hospital trust that I attend .I wish you well and hope you maintain a curative pathway .