I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Routine blood tests

User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 14:14

Hi everyone after some routine blood tests I was sent for a scan/to my absolute devastation after a meeting with the uroligist if informed me that I had a  PSA of 8.67  and every possibility that it was a cancerous prostrate, I was due to have my biopsy yesterday but due to a high blood pressure it as been put back to a later date,I am 66 years old of a mixed race origin,I have had an enlarged prostate for 10 years, I eat as healthy as possible and stopped smoking 6 months ago,I keep trying to relax and not think about it,for when I do I break down uncontrolably and am not sure what to do ?...Just feel really shell shocked !!!

User
Posted 06 Jan 2022 at 12:18
Now that the issue has been identified the need is to define its nature and scale. Once the medics have done that they will advise the best treatment. From first diagnosis thru biopsy, bone scan and CAT scan took me about 6 weeks from February last year. Since then I have been on the treatment path for PC outside capsule with 3 mets - incluing strong radiation (6*6 greys). From about October my PSA has been undetectable (after starting at 64) as is testosterone level. The first few weeks were not good from the point of view of worrying but once you get a full diagnosis hopefully you will see that it is something that can be treated and you will be around for a fair number of years.
User
Posted 06 Jan 2022 at 15:41
The first thing to say is that around two thirds of men your age have prostate cancer; getting prostate cancer is basically a matter of being a man and living long enough. Virtually every man will have it by his 80s if he lives that long. Most will require no treatment and will die with it, not from it. Getting it is normal, so don't be shocked!

Secondly, IF you do have it (and an elevated PSA is simply a flag that investigation is required), localised prostate cancer (cancer that's contained within the prostate gland) is an eminently treatable condition with excellent success rates. You get diagnosed, you get treated, and you get on with life. With a PSA of less than 10, IF you have prostate cancer, it's overwhelmingly likely to be localised.

So, DON'T PANIC. You don't know whether or not you do have prostate cancer (although the odds are about 2:1 in favour of having it at your age). If you have it, you get it treated and you get back to enjoying life. It's vanishingly unlikely to kill you. You just need to wait for the diagnostic process to grind its way through, and then you'll know where you stand.

I was diagnosed in 2018 at the age of 55. Had my treatment and here I am almost four years later enjoying life. Don't sweat it.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Jan 2022 at 16:35

It's always one of the most worrying times when you first get diagnosed.   We don't know what your scan showed but your psa isn't that high.   A psa of 10 is classed normally as a border between a lower risk and medium risk case although the scan and biopsy contribute to the final judgement.

As you have a large prostate it could be that the psa result is exaggerated.   A large prostate is usually not the result of prostate cancer and it normally gives off more psa.

You mention you're mixed race, you may have read that people of African descent have a greater risk of getting prostate cancer than those of northerly latitudes, and people of Asia have the lowest risk. 

On this website there is a publication called the Toolkit.  You might get familiar with its content if you feel inclined.   When I was diagnosed I was torn between wanting to know and not wanting to read anymore.  So logic seemed to be to take it slowly.

All the best, keep us informed,
Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jan 2022 at 12:18
Now that the issue has been identified the need is to define its nature and scale. Once the medics have done that they will advise the best treatment. From first diagnosis thru biopsy, bone scan and CAT scan took me about 6 weeks from February last year. Since then I have been on the treatment path for PC outside capsule with 3 mets - incluing strong radiation (6*6 greys). From about October my PSA has been undetectable (after starting at 64) as is testosterone level. The first few weeks were not good from the point of view of worrying but once you get a full diagnosis hopefully you will see that it is something that can be treated and you will be around for a fair number of years.
User
Posted 06 Jan 2022 at 15:41
The first thing to say is that around two thirds of men your age have prostate cancer; getting prostate cancer is basically a matter of being a man and living long enough. Virtually every man will have it by his 80s if he lives that long. Most will require no treatment and will die with it, not from it. Getting it is normal, so don't be shocked!

Secondly, IF you do have it (and an elevated PSA is simply a flag that investigation is required), localised prostate cancer (cancer that's contained within the prostate gland) is an eminently treatable condition with excellent success rates. You get diagnosed, you get treated, and you get on with life. With a PSA of less than 10, IF you have prostate cancer, it's overwhelmingly likely to be localised.

So, DON'T PANIC. You don't know whether or not you do have prostate cancer (although the odds are about 2:1 in favour of having it at your age). If you have it, you get it treated and you get back to enjoying life. It's vanishingly unlikely to kill you. You just need to wait for the diagnostic process to grind its way through, and then you'll know where you stand.

I was diagnosed in 2018 at the age of 55. Had my treatment and here I am almost four years later enjoying life. Don't sweat it.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Jan 2022 at 16:35

It's always one of the most worrying times when you first get diagnosed.   We don't know what your scan showed but your psa isn't that high.   A psa of 10 is classed normally as a border between a lower risk and medium risk case although the scan and biopsy contribute to the final judgement.

As you have a large prostate it could be that the psa result is exaggerated.   A large prostate is usually not the result of prostate cancer and it normally gives off more psa.

You mention you're mixed race, you may have read that people of African descent have a greater risk of getting prostate cancer than those of northerly latitudes, and people of Asia have the lowest risk. 

On this website there is a publication called the Toolkit.  You might get familiar with its content if you feel inclined.   When I was diagnosed I was torn between wanting to know and not wanting to read anymore.  So logic seemed to be to take it slowly.

All the best, keep us informed,
Peter