I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in semen after prostate biopsy

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 16:34

I had a prostate biopsy done 5 months ago, the result was benign (relief). My psa was from 6.5 to 7.5 and last two blood tests resulted in 5.6 and 3.5 (last month) 

I noticed heavy blood in my semen in the first 2 months and gradually turned mild brownish. Now after 5 months  still see slight light brown stain in my semen. 

Is it normal that blood is found in semen after 5 months? and how long should it clear up in my case?

My doctor has prescribed Doudart 0.5 mg / 0.4 mg and have been on this medication for the past 4 months.

Please advise, thank you

Terence

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 21:40

That seems like a long time, but it maybe more related to how many times you've ejaculated since then.

Except for the first few days after the biopsy, was it ever bright red? If so, that would suggest fresh bleeding. Blood that's bled tends to turn brown after about 3-4 days as the red blood cells break down, and the iron that was in the blood cells literally goes rusty.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 15:49

I have had about 6 or 7 ejeculations since bipsy was done. Is that sufficient flushing?

Reddish blood was found in my urine on the first two days after the biopsy then brownish the following few days and it cleared after about 4 weeks.

My first ejeculation was about two months after biopsy and it was rather bloody. The colour of semen turned light brownish after 4-5 ejeculations and still very light stains was noticable recently as stated earlier. 

Do you think there is anything unsual about my condition?

Regards

Terence

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 16:33

That's probably simply not enough to flush out all the blood, although it will vary from one person to another.

It took me about 3 weeks of doing it almost daily.

The blood in there is harmless as far as I know. There may be a consideration if you are to have an MRI scan of the prostate at some point in the future. Once the hemoglobin breaks down and forms rust, this is much more magnetic than the iron was when it was in hemoglobin. The body does have mechanisms to recover this, but might not do so completely (particularly as you still have some left so long afterwards). This can cause a reduction in MRI image quality if rust is left at that location. That might be a reason to try and get it out rather than ending up with it stuck in there.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 16:44

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your sharing. I wasn't aware that we can do daily flushing. Anyway thank you for that information.

It s unfortunate for me that I am in no condition to do MRI as I have a Deep Brain Stimulator in me. In  fact I have multiple serious conditions that I am living a miserable life. The medication I am taking will probably destroy my kidney soon.

I shall do more flushing from now on and hopefull will clear soon.

Thank you again and stay safe 

Terence